Engine writeoff ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine writeoff ?

Hi all, Hope you can help me, I have a SSRX surf on a k 2.4 tD Automatic, just been told by the garage I need a new engine, No warning just overheated one day steam everywhere. removal of the head & block shows pitting etc no obvious spilts in rad etc. Does this sound familiar to anyone please ? looking at a bill of around 2k 65000 miles on it Appreicate any advice thank you very much in anticipation Lesley

if its the head gone then click on the link at the top of the page for the cylinder heads or give tonyn a shout at www.4x4toys.co.uk either of them should be able to sort you out
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by tigger_nobounce
      Hi all, Hope you can help me, I have a SSRX surf on a k 2.4 tD Automatic, just been told by the garage I need a new engine, No warning just overheated one day steam everywhere. removal of the head & block shows pitting etc no obvious spilts in rad etc. Does this sound familiar to anyone please ? looking at a bill of around 2k 65000 miles on it Appreicate any advice thank you very much in anticipation Lesley
      Youll get plenty of better advice than I can give but good chance its the head. Dont just buy any old head either to replace it. You need a modified head from the engine co Ltd as advertised at page top. Do a search, theres lots of threads on 2.4 heads and all will be revealed.

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

Piting and corrosion is caused by coolant leaking into engine over a period of time. This is not always noticed until a major overheat and cracked head. When this occurs coolant and diesel mix and form an acid which slowly eats away at the head and bores. If serious then a new engine is the only solution.

Nev

Comment

Depends how bad the pitting is around the top of the bores, they all have a small amount on any cylinder that the head has cracked on. Most are OK as long as its still smooth where the rings rub, and it isn't on the deck of the block.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
            Piting and corrosion is caused by coolant leaking into engine over a period of time. This is not always noticed until a major overheat and cracked head. When this occurs coolant and diesel mix and form an acid which slowly eats away at the head and bores. If serious then a new engine is the only solution.

Nev

Well Nev you learn something new every day.I never knew that about the coolant and diesel mix so will keep that in mind
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              Well Nev you learn something new every day.I never knew that about the coolant and diesel mix so will keep that in mind
              It's also noticeable in the thermostat housing and other metal coolant pipes if its been cracked for a while.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

My sympathies, had the same December 04, Booked in with mates garage as I knew head had gone. Sourced headmyself garage removed it only to find as you did. got local engine builder to have a butchers but corrosion was to deep. So then had to source new short engine. Got one from Ivor Searle, sent wrong one first time and thew second had stripped thread got there £3000 later.
                Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Thanks for all your help, realistically the bill will be around £2600 so I think Tigger _nobounce will shortly become tigger_no4x4 I think it will now be sold as it is. Someone will get a great car if they can repair & source the bits for it.
                  Very unhappy little bunny

Comment

Thanks for all your help, realistically the bill will be around £2600 so I think Tigger _nobounce will shortly become tigger_no4x4 I think it will now be sold as it is. Someone will get a great car if they can repair & source the bits for it.
                    Very unhappy little bunny

mine cost more due to stripping the head, then they almost put wrong engine in but as I sourced it they thought they would just check, then had to take head off again, new short motor head on again. 8 weeks later and the snow arrived I was surfing again. Still paying off credit card or still moving it from card to card. Owes me to much now so I have Surf till it dies. I considered putting head back on and flogging it, but the surf was such a good motor and with a new lump I would have an as new motor. I need a large 4x4 for towing so i would have had to replace it. Then could have been in same boat again.
                    Since 04 only the started has failed. So happy bunny now.
                    Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Thanks again all, may consider breaking it, currently placed it on ebay, hope you all have many years of pleasure from your surf I will miss mine
                      thanks again

Lesley

Comment

Thanks again all, may consider breaking it, currently placed it on ebay, hope you all have many years of pleasure from your surf I will miss mine
                        thanks again

Lesley
                        how much did it go for in the end just asking as looking for a project for the summer.

Comment

Working...
                        X