Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump valve for turbo

Hi,
    Has anyone ever fitted a Dump Valve to their Surf??
    Is it recomended/worth it????

Cheers
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

try the good old search button, found this from Vagrant N02.

Does exactly wot it says on the tin . It dumps all that lovely built up turbo pressure when the throttle is shut . On a petrol engine it is debated that it stops the turbo from stalling due to sudden back pressure . On a diesel it is not such a prob , most recon you want the turbo pressure not dump it as the engine then has to build it back up again so you could in fact make your Surf slower .

Comment

Originally posted by smithsurf
      Is it recomended/worth it????

Cheers
      Only if you want to sound like the dickheads down the McD's most evenings!

I don't know if the Surf turbo makes enough pressure to warrent it, but in theory they will pressure down the intake with the throttle closed quickly, which puts less stress on the turbo and intake pipes. And reduces turbo lag as the turbo isn't stalled by the closed throttle pressure, so when you put your foot down again, the turbo spools up to boost pressure quicker as it's still spinning quite fast.

But like I said, a diesel isn't a racing engine, I wouldn't expect it to show much difference in performance. But if someone trys it and it works, all the good!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

HAHA, Think you should invest in a larger baseball cap! lower it and then install some slicks..........

Comment

nice neon under the peek would look good too
          Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Originally posted by Esamed
            nice neon under the peek would look good too
            there are 2 kinds of dump valves. Atmospheric and recirculating.

Only atmospheric valves make the Mcd's Whoooosh as they dump the charge to the atmos insted of recirculating into the induction system.

Dunno much about diesel turbos, as they are far less exciting than petrol. (I am a saab freak as well and used to have a forge dump valve on my 93 turbo)

On a surf I would expect you would gain more power by platting fog and stuffing this in the exhaust to increase back pressure than you would by fitting any sort of dump valve.

In other words

Forget it......
            Al
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Is a dump valve also known as a blow-off valve, or are they different? If so what differences?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Is a dump valve also known as a blow-off valve, or are they different? If so what differences?

difference is, you might, just might get away with blowing off in front of the mother in law......
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

No problem there, she's worse than me!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    No problem there, she's worse than me!

yes, a dump valve is a blow off valve.
                    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
                      yes, a dump valve is a blow off valve.
                      I must have one up my bottom
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

The BOV ( blow off valve) does not have to do the Pshhhh thing, that is caused by the little prats putting a tuned trumpet on the valve outlet.
                        I had a long hard look at this myself and then at the suggestion of one of the Kiwis on the Aussie forum I disconected my throttle butterfly. The 'fly is only there to trigger the EGR anyway and seeing as that is gone I no longer needed the butterfly. It (he bf) does also make idle and shut down a little smoother but that is a small price to pay for the effect of not having it.
                        I now have significantly less turbo lag and you can see , on the gauge, and feel the boost come on much quicker.
                        BTW I am running 11psi at full boot.
                        Simon.O.
                        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

A BOV on a manual is ok but a waste of time and money on an auto.

Nev

Comment

Cant you compromise? Why don't you get one of those exhausts that you can have a flame out the end..........

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                              A BOV on a manual is ok but a waste of time and money on an auto.

Nev
                              This is what i was about to say An AUTO does never shut the engine off as you do not change gear so there is no point trying to fit a dump valve as you dont close the throttle to change gear see....................
                              3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Working...
                              X