Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant - whits goin on here then?

All,

My truck spat out all its coolant last week. Looked to be coming from the offside of the engine just above the oil filter, going with the pool underneath the truck?

I topped it up on Saturday with the engine off. Started pi^*ing out of the engine in the same place just above the oil filter housing somewhere - couldn't make out where exactly as I would have had to take the inner wing off to get my head in. Topped it up again with the engine still off, and it started pi**ing out of the same place again. Started the engine with the rad cap off and the coolant leak stopped completely. Let it warm through and topped it up again with the engine running. No leaks. When I turned the engine off again there was a slight leak from the same place. Started it again and let it run to bleed the air out fitted the rad cap and took the truck for a run for about an hour - ran fine, temp okay, no coolant loss as I checked it again yesterday. When it was standing overnight there was no coolant loss either.

Whats going on here then? Does it sound like a gasket has relaxed and taken up when the truck has heated up or am I missing something? Seems funny that the coolant was leaking when the system was off and not under pressure and when the system was pressured, there was no leak.

Any ideas?

Is it possible the seal on the water pump has popped and then re-seated?

Does the water pump sit near the oil filter housing?

Comment

The water pump is behind the viscous fan on the front of the engine.

Comment

Bang goes that theory.

I just hope the next bang is not my engine..........

Comment

Working...
        X