Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine racing at low rpm

Hi all
    I have a problem on my SSR-G 2.4 Turbo Auto particularly when cold.
    Symptoms when driving slow at aproximately 1000rpm the motor on its
    own will jump to around 1600rpm and then suddenly drop to 600rpm
    and will continue this cycle. The cycle can be broken by accelerating
    but will resume when you back off this will carry on until the engine
    warms up a little. Its a little freaky because you can be behind a car at the traffic lights and all of its own it jumps forward so i have to keep my foot on the brake just in case.
    I need some help here to find the cuase as this is a safety issue as well.

ganghooks

Re

Hmmmm!

Maybe sounds like a fault with the "idle up" switch!

Dunno what it could be though, maybe a faulty relay/switch?

Later!

Gary
    Last edited by hellmett; 30 January 2006, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
      Hmmmm!

Later!

Gary
      I am with hellmett on this one, weired fault! I would start with idle up, cud be its selected but is not working properly. press the button so de-select it and see what happens. you only need it in the sticky stuff and for towing big things anyway.

Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Could this be due to faulty glowplug(s) ?

Hippo can be a bit lumpy when cold too, but I know her reason

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

the plugs on my van are nearly shot now and you can tell with this cold weather.
          It starts ok but chugs up and down like mad! restart the pre-heat a few times then turn it over and it works a treat!
          Does it do it everytime you stop or just when you start?

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
            Hmmmm!

Later!

Gary
            From what I remember, the 'idle up' switch only works when in Neutral or Park (on auto's anyway). If this is happening when in gear, I would suspect something else, maybe fueling problems. Does the problem go away when the engine gets upto temp?
            Jez

Comment

Definetley not an Idle up problem.

Originally posted by Jezware
              From what I remember, the 'idle up' switch only works when in Neutral or Park (on auto's anyway). If this is happening when in gear, I would suspect something else, maybe fueling problems. Does the problem go away when the engine gets upto temp?
              reply(ganghooks###
              You are correct. yes it does this while in Drive and also if you slap it in neutral
              it is definetly not the idle up, and yes it does go away when the motor
              aproaches normal operating temperature, im thinking it could be a sensor
              fuel/air or a solenoid operating the engine speed, Note that my vehicle is not
              fitted with cruise control so that can be ruled out, I have no problems starting the motor from cold,had new glow plugs several months ago.
              This has to have something to do with something controlling the backoff
              when decellerating, emission control area but where?

Comment

Could be TPS related.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...&highlight=tps

Nev

Comment

sounds like air getting into the system, maybe via a split fuel line? i'm only saying that because i had a peugot van once, and that did exactly the same thing..every now and then it would just go for it!! i started thinking that's how it should be, and when it wasn't going into "warp drive" it was running unusually sluggish, ha ha..first diesel i'd owned..

anyway, came the day she'd only start, run for a couple of seconds, then die..AA got it sussed straight away, stuck a rubber tube on, and bingo..it was sluggish ever since..just a long shot, but worth a check come daylight..

Comment

I've got a 2.4 too and mine did this when on the motorway the other week, it kept jumping up and down by about 500rpms, its done it a few over times too.
                    1) warmed up well on a motorway
                    2) after leaving ticking over in park for about 15 mins
                    3) when i was driving for ages at low speed with no turbo on.

Touch wood it hasn't done it for about 2 weeks now, so fingers crossed. Not sure what it is. The only thing i could think off was the turbo pressure release valve. Not sure if thats what you call it but its what i know it as. i put some oil on mine.
                    i like it muddy!

Comment

Thats it Nev Thanks

[QUOTE=NiftyNev]Could be TPS related.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...&highlight=tps

Nev[/QUOTE

ganghooks:

Yes right on the nail I found that the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
                      error signal was intermittent causing erratic squirts of fuel, so with some
                      careful drilling into the side of this sensor i drilled a hole and sprayed some
                      contact cleaner into it, let it drain out and fitted a small screw into the hole
                      id drilled 2.5mm refitted in the same position as id marked it with correction
                      fluid before pulling it off.
                      Now its fixed my problem, for now, it looks as though it was a dirty wiper
                      on the error signal carbon track that goes back to the engine management
                      contol unit,
                      Ill have to see how much a new one costs
                      By the way the link you sent, i tried to register and it returned a message saying I have been Banned, Now thats incredible as i never new the site existed until you sent me the link what can we do about that Nev?

Comment

Originally posted by ganghooks
                        By the way the link you sent, i tried to register and it returned a message saying I have been Banned, Now thats incredible as i never new the site existed until you sent me the link what can we do about that Nev?
                        Send me a PM with all the details you used to register and I'll check it out. If I can't sort it out I'll ask one of the other Admins.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                        X