Head gone!? Please NO!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gone!? Please NO!!!!!!!

A cry for help here lads and lassis, drove into work this morning about 70 miles do it three times a week with no problems for 7 months so far, came off the motorway this morning and the fan cut in which never happens then the temp needle started doing strange things ie. up and down but never into red. The needle has never moved past half way before and she has run sweet as until now. Am i looking at a cracked head here or something less serious ( please be less serious! ) why does everything happen in January...?
    Kali

Re-new your thermostat and rad cap first, as this will only cost you about £15.

Comment

Any other symtoms like overflowing expansion bottle ? Have you checked coolant level in engine via the rad cap ? Check the rad cap is not worn , ie seal is perished .

If coolant is low open heater/s to hot and top up via the rad cap until wont fill any more . Take for a brief run , allow to cool , open rad cap and top up again if required .Check again when cool and every other day if needed .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks so far lads.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          Any other symtoms like overflowing expansion bottle ? Have you checked coolant level in engine via the rad cap ? Check the rad cap is not worn , ie seal is perished .

If coolant is low open heater/s to hot and top up via the rad cap until wont fill any more . Take for a brief run , allow to cool , open rad cap and top up again if required .Check again when cool and every other day if needed .
          There was no fluid overflow into the expansion tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalimantan
            There was no fluid overflow into the expansion tank.
            Just had another look and the coolant level is down about half an inch to an inch any ideas...?

Comment

Just had another look and the coolant level is down about half an inch to an inch any ideas...?
              top it up

as said the cap/stat done... also can you see any stains on hoses etc that could be due to a leak?
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                top it up

as said the cap/stat done... also can you see any stains on hoses etc that could be due to a leak?
                No signs of a leak, but i ask this question as i do alot of miles in a week ( approx 500 ) is it possible for the coolant level to go down naturaly ie. in the general working of the surf. And being that i havnt checked it for awhile could the heating problem be caused by a lack of attention on my part?

Comment

No signs of a leak, but i ask this question as i do alot of miles in a week ( approx 500 ) is it possible for the coolant level to go down naturaly ie. in the general working of the surf. And being that i havnt checked it for awhile could the heating problem be caused by a lack of attention on my part?
                  well it shouldnt really use anything if its all ok although some cars do.
                  sounds like lack of maintenance so get the little bits done and keep checking everyday and see what happens.
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                    well it shouldnt really use anything if its all ok although some cars do.
                    sounds like lack of maintenance so get the little bits done and keep checking everyday and see what happens.
                    Nice one dirty

Comment

Hello,

When you've put a lot of fresh water into the system it will 'gas'. Just like topping up your radiators in the house, you have to keep bleeding them until all the disolved gasses in the water are forced out by the heat and pressure. Problem being that every time you bleed the rads you let in a little bit of fresh water, so that has to be gassed............etc

The header tank may loose a very small amount of water due to natural evaporation, but this usually is only in warmer weather.

Just keep an eye on it - I was totally paranoid after I had a new head fitted and I actually think I was making matters worse by taking the ****** cap off and checking all the time!

Regards
                      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Temp guage floating up and down usually indicates an air lock. Another clue is the heater(s) going hot/cold/hot.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                          Temp guage floating up and down usually indicates an air lock. Another clue is the heater(s) going hot/cold/hot.
                          Thanks for advice chaps but i got the water pressure checked and it went sky high straight away on a stone cold engine, the aa reckoned it was a blown head gasket but im guessing the head has gone... Still its going in to County Cars in Strood for a check and repair, by the way has anyone had much experience of them? Ive read a couple of good reviews but a few more wont hurt.
                          Kali

Comment

Thanks for advice chaps but i got the water pressure checked and it went sky high straight away on a stone cold engine, the aa reckoned it was a blown head gasket but im guessing the head has gone... Still its going in to County Cars in Strood for a check and repair, by the way has anyone had much experience of them? Ive read a couple of good reviews but a few more wont hurt.
                            Kali

Just make sure they fit the modified head if its gone. Maybe best to source one yourself and get them to fit it.
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Sorry to be negative but the symptoms you've described happened to me this Monday, checked the usual, water levels, leaks etc all OK, Tuesday and Wednesday did about 100 miles temp stayed in the middle of the guage. It came home today on back of a truck cracked head.

Anyone know where to get a cylinder head from and what sort of price, seen this on ebay (any good?) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYLINDER-HEAD-...QQcmdZViewItem
                              [COLOR=DarkOrange]If It Wasn't For Bad Luck.......

Comment

Working...
                              X