Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodgy head repair?

Hi.
    Got 2.4 ssrx about a month ago, fell in love instantly. The guy said the head went begining of 2005 and he had it "checked out" at a local engineering firm. According to him they skimmed the head (hopefully not to much!) and fitted new head gasket. I can see that they have given it a full service and the paper work says new cam belt, so im guessing that they have done things properly. My questions are, what would happen if a new gasket was fitted to a cracked head? what would you be likely to see eg. smoke/steam? and how long before it all went kerputt? I must have done around 500miles so far and all seems well. any ideas? Den

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im just loving my surf side...........are you?
    Last edited by den 22; 13 January 2006, 20:56.

If a gasket was fitted to a cracked head then I would expect overheating, coolant over flowing symptons more or less straight away.
    Where the head normally cracks they would have to skim half the head away. Reason it may be alright is they chucked in some of that engine sealer gunk stuff. Blocked the cracks up short term but if thats what they have done then it will show up again. As to when I have no idea how long that stuff lasts.
    It may be that (although very rare) it was only the gasket in the first place and you will be fine.
    Don't rely on the sauna exhaust as signs of a cracked head, most common sympton is coolant over flowing from expansion bottle and over heating. Only sure fire way to tell a cracked head is to get a pressure test done.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      If a gasket was fitted to a cracked head then I would expect overheating, coolant over flowing symptons more or less straight away.
      Where the head normally cracks they would have to skim half the head away. Reason it may be alright is they chucked in some of that engine sealer gunk stuff. Blocked the cracks up short term but if thats what they have done then it will show up again. As to when I have no idea how long that stuff lasts.
      It may be that (although very rare) it was only the gasket in the first place and you will be fine.
      Don't rely on the sauna exhaust as signs of a cracked head, most common sympton is coolant over flowing from expansion bottle and over heating. Only sure fire way to tell a cracked head is to get a pressure test done.

I realise that im just a nervous surfing newbie and i hoping all is well, u just read about so many heads going all over the place. Where the hell is all my white smoke coming from on start up hot or cold? Thats all i can find wrong with her! Den

Comment

Hate to say it but that does sound like water is getting in to the exhaust from the combustion chamber. Saw a program on cable the other day about armoured cars and this guy came up with the James Bond smokescreen by feeding neat antifreeze into the exhaust. Sounds like you may well have a cracked head, so strongly suggest you do as Koi suggests and get the system pressure checked.
        Mike G

Comment

when mine crack a month or so ago i had clouds of whjite smoke coming out,it also smelt like burnt anti freeeze,,,go round the back and get some one to start it for you smell the smoke

Comment

Originally posted by whirly03
            when mine crack a month or so ago i had clouds of whjite smoke coming out,it also smelt like burnt anti freeeze,,,go round the back and get some one to start it for you smell the smoke
            mine only smokes on start up, the warmer it is the less time it takes to stop, did yours stop bellowing smoke? Also ive got no oil in header tank, which is what i would think would happen when things got hot enough to push the oil the other way. Could it be a faulty injector maybe? Den

Comment

Originally posted by den 22
              mine only smokes on start up, the warmer it is the less time it takes to stop, did yours stop bellowing smoke? Also ive got no oil in header tank, which is what i would think would happen when things got hot enough to push the oil the other way. Could it be a faulty injector maybe? Den

as a thought have you drained the water filter on the bottom of the fuel filter may be just condense if it only happens if its cold.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                as a thought have you drained the water filter on the bottom of the fuel filter may be just condense if it only happens if its cold.
                Hurriedly got home last night and drained the filter but to my dissapointment nothing but diesel im afraid, so i guess we are back to the head. Den

Comment

Originally posted by den 22
                  Hurriedly got home last night and drained the filter but to my dissapointment nothing but diesel im afraid, so i guess we are back to the head. Den

still can't help thinking that if it only is whitish smoke on start up and gets less when warm it ain't steam. If it was it would be steaming more as its gets hotter.
                  Best bet is get the engine pressure tested to be sure it is or is not the head.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                    still can't help thinking that if it only is whitish smoke on start up and gets less when warm it ain't steam. If it was it would be steaming more as its gets hotter.
                    Best bet is get the engine pressure tested to be sure it is or is not the head.
                    Gonna try and get it checked today at local garage. what reading might i expect from a heathly engine? fingers crossed. Den

Comment

Rad cap is 0.9 bar so from cold it shouldn't be above that, once the guage is on and the motor is started you should get even pressure. When my head went and put the guage on it the pressure just carried on going up and up.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Working...
                      X