Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not a clue. (half power)

hello everyone.
    My surf 2.4 ssrx 92 has had a new head about a month ago. All was well for about a 1000kms then the glow plugs shorted out and the engine looses power. The problem with it is the surf drives fine but the engine suddenly looses half its power. The mechanic is baffled with the problem.
    The thing is it clears itself then will happen again. The engine warning light comes on when it happens. Any ideas????? please.

Originally posted by james long
    hello everyone.
    My surf 2.4 ssrx 92 has had a new head about a month ago. All was well for about a 1000kms then the glow plugs shorted out and the engine looses power. The problem with it is the surf drives fine but the engine suddenly looses half its power. The mechanic is baffled with the problem.
    The thing is it clears itself then will happen again. The engine warning light comes on when it happens. Any ideas????? please.
    Might be worth a new fuel filter just in case something is causing a blockage.... maybe ?

Keith
    I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Just copied this from the Aussie site. "Under the bonnet on the drivers side, next to the fuse box is a small black box with a flip top lid. This is for diagnostics. With the ignition off, transmission in P or N, a/c off and throttle fully released, connect the terminals E1 and TE1 with a small piece of wire or a paper clip. Turn the ignition to on and codes should be displayed on the instrument cluster with the little check engine light. To clear any codes either disconnect the battery or remove the ECD relay for one minute." Here is the 2LTE fault codes:
      1 - Normal
      2 - Turbo boost pressure sensor
      4 - Coolant temperature sensor
      5 - Correction resistance (Pump)
      6 - Pump speed sensor (Pump)
      7 - Throttle position sensor
      8 - Intake air temperature sensor
      9 - Vehicle speed sensor
      10 - Starter switch
      11 - Switch sign (Vehicle not in P or N or A/C on)
      12 - Timer control valve (Pump)
      13 - Crank position sensor

give it a try, it could be electrical

go here too http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=758

i dunno what code 3 means though
      Last edited by stara; 8 December 2003, 15:40.
      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I had exactly the same on a Rover diesel, unplug every connector you can and spray with a proper switch cleaner before reattaching, solved my problem.
        [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
        [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

I assume that you have sorted out the shorting problem????

When you get the problem does the battery voltage meter (Assuming you have one) drop? If it drops enough then the ECU (assuming you have a 2LTE engine - check the engine number on the plate in the engine bay) may be below voltage for it not to function properly.

Rich.
          Last edited by rich; 8 December 2003, 20:30.
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by james long
            hello everyone.

Yes new fuel filter or drain it to make sure its not filled with water. Have you replaced the fuse or did it even blow when the plugs shorted out, why did they short out?
            whats the oil pressure like when it happens, is the turbo still operating when it happens??
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Cheers everyone

I will keep you posted on the situation once ive spoken to the mechanic.

Comment

Hi Chaps
                I`ve got the same or a similar problem. My head was done a few weeks ago and I seem to have lost a lot of power especially when the motors cold, almost as if the clutch is sliping. The box doesn`t seem to change up at the same revs each time and it seems to snatch into the next gear sometimes but not always. Have checked the cable adjustments etc and they seem ok. Glow plugs etc are woking fine. I`m a bit baffled to be honest cause this has only appeared since the head was done and there seems no logical reason for it, or am I missing something. .

Any ideas gentalmen?????
                Last edited by tich; 9 December 2003, 22:06.

Comment

Tich,

If yours is only doing it when cold then I think that your glow plugs aren't working at all. (Allthough you say they are????? how do you know???) They not only help starting but also warm the fuel until the water temperature (engine temp) is high enough to do the same. Diesels don't combust efficiently at cold temperatures.

One thing that has been mentioned before by Koi and others is the reinstallation of the glow plug assemblies where the insulators need to be put back correctly otherwise the supply voltage is shorted to earth and it blows the fuse. Check out this thread http://www.yotasurf.com/Forums/showt...ght=glow+plugs

Also sounds like the auto transmission fluid is getting a bit beyond it as well and could do with a flush and replacement. This is the thread http://www.yotasurf.com/Forums/showt...ght=auto+flush

Hope this helps

Rich.
                  Originally posted by tich
                  Hi Chaps
                  I`ve got the same or a similar problem. My head was done a few weeks ago and I seem to have lost a lot of power especially when the motors cold, almost as if the clutch is sliping. The box doesn`t seem to change up at the same revs each time and it seems to snatch into the next gear sometimes but not always. Have checked the cable adjustments etc and they seem ok. Glow plugs etc are woking fine. I`m a bit baffled to be honest cause this has only appeared since the head was done and there seems no logical reason for it, or am I missing something. .

Any ideas gentalmen?????
                  Last edited by rich; 9 December 2003, 23:28.

Comment

Power loss

Mornin Rich!
                    Appreciate your reply Sir but the glow plugs work fine to start the engine,even on the coldest morning, so I assume that the fuse is ok (although I must admit I haven`t checked it). If they continue to warm the fuel until the engine reaches operating temerature why would they stop working once the engine has started?. I can`t say I have ever come across a diesel engine that has glow plugs that continue to glow once the engine has fired up. My experience has been restricted to marine diesels so I stand up to be slapped if I`m wrong. Your wisdom on this subject will continue to be appreciated, or anyone else come to that.

Regards
                    Tich

Comment

Hi Tich,

All of my info comes from the 3.0 Toyota engine manual, all theory not practive so will be happy to be proved wrong. The reason I ask whether the glow plugs are actually working are if you have an ECU controlled engine then it would appear that the light is seperate to the actual operation of the glow plugs, hence my question.

If you have a look at this extract from the manual you will know where I am coming from on Preheat and afterglow.

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...ow%20Plugs.pdf

Hope this helps,

Rich.

Mornin Rich!
                      Appreciate your reply Sir but the glow plugs work fine to start the engine,even on the coldest morning, so I assume that the fuse is ok (although I must admit I haven`t checked it). If they continue to warm the fuel until the engine reaches operating temerature why would they stop working once the engine has started?. I can`t say I have ever come across a diesel engine that has glow plugs that continue to glow once the engine has fired up. My experience has been restricted to marine diesels so I stand up to be slapped if I`m wrong. Your wisdom on this subject will continue to be appreciated, or anyone else come to that.

Regards
                      Tich

Comment

Hi there
                        Its just a thought have you tried running it with the fuel cap of, just in case its a blockage in the breather for the tank and starving it of fuel this would slow you up then clear and then do it again.
                        Cheers Charlie

Comment

Mornin Rich!

Regards
                          Tich

Yes the plugs continue to work for a further period of time after you start the engine. It helps to improve fuel combustion whilst the engine is warming up, making smoother running and also quieter.
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by rich
                            Hi Tich,

All of my info comes from the 3.0 Toyota engine manual, all theory not practive so will be happy to be proved wrong. The reason I ask whether the glow plugs are actually working are if you have an ECU controlled engine then it would appear that the light is seperate to the actual operation of the glow plugs, hence my question.

If you have a look at this extract from the manual you will know where I am coming from on Preheat and afterglow.

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...ow%20Plugs.pdf

Hope this helps,

Rich.

Thanks Rich
                            There seems to be an error on the extract and I can`t open it.
                            Tich

Comment

Power loss

Thanks everyone. I`ll try all your suggestions.
                              Regards
                              Tich

Comment

Working...
                              X