2.4TLE Overheating problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4TLE Overheating problems

I recently imported a 2.4TLE Hilux Surf from Japan. It has overheating problems although the thermostat was removed. I have had to replace the head due to corrosion of the valve chambers. I had the radiator flushed and put in new coolant, but the boiling seems to persist. There are no leaks on the cooling system, so please can you advise me the best way forward to address my problem. The vehicle is in Zimbabwe.

you have air in the cooling system. when engine is cold, turn heaters to hot and remove radiator cap, start engine and allow to warm up and check the coolant levels. When you can no longer pour water in, replace rad cap to pressurize system. allow to cool again and check level of coolant.
    Make sure you have enough coolant in the expansion bottle to submerge the overflow tube.

Comment

Have you fitted a new thermostat and rad cap, also might be worth checking the viscous fan operation.

Comment

Do a search, this has been covered hundreds of times. Mine turned out to be block trouble......... and now new engine has trouble..... i am cursed! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by charliemuttley
          Do a search, this has been covered hundreds of times. Mine turned out to be block trouble......... and now new engine has trouble..... i am cursed! Good luck.

You MUST check the water pump!

Comment

Thanks Bushwacker. I will try this and come back to you.

Comment

What I did to cure my overheating was disconnect the coolant hose where it goes into the heater core at the firewall. A huge bubble came out, pushing some coolant as well. I filled the system through that hose by putting a funnel on it. Leave the rad cap off and keep filling until coolant flows out the cap. Then put the cap on and fill the hose as much as you can, then reattach it.

Before I did this, my system looked full at the filler neck, but after opening it up at the top of the system, I added almost 5 litres of coolant. No problems since.

Robin
              '90 JDM LJ78 Prado

Comment

Working...
              X