chucking coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chucking coolant

Right, my 1992 2.4 SSRX runs fine. All gauges are fine etc.

When i got it the cooland was a lovely green colour.

But twice now, second time yesterday, its spat its coolant out via the overflow bottle.

Last time, i topped up the level in the engine and all seemed fine, that was about 2 weeks ago, but yesterday it did it again.

Am i geting cyl head probs or is it something else?

Dai

Check, and if necessary replace the Thermostat and Radiator Cap before doing anything else.

Nev

Comment

how do i check them?

where's the best place to get replacements?

cheers

Dai

Comment

Easiest way of checking a stat is to use boiling water in a cup and suspend the stat in it to see if you get daylight through the gap. But if youve got the stat out any way tou might just aswell replace it for the sake of a few quid.. It sounds like you may have a head gone where it is forcing the preasure through the water system which will blow it out of the bottle. Some garages do a gas check on the water system to tell them if the head has gone or not.

Be prepaired for the worse.
        Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

is this consistent woth the fact it does it now and then, even though its driven daily??

Hope its no thte head.....

Comment

Originally posted by DaiZX
            is this consistent woth the fact it does it now and then, even though its driven daily??

Hope its no thte head.....
            you have more than likley got an airlock in the cooling system.
            park it on an incline facing up hill so rad cap is highest part of system
            top it up with the engine running and all heaters on full heat, leave it running and top up as required contine for 20 minutes or until golden brown oops thats the yorkies, when no more fluid is taken in put cap on and only fill expansion bottle to its full level marker, its a good idea if you can to flush the rad and cooling system aswell
            one more thing
            DONT FORGET ANTIFREEZE
            JOHN
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Diolch yn fawr !

I will try this tomorrow. It seems weird to me, hope its not the head.

Comment

Diolch yn fawr !

I will try this tomorrow. It seems weird to me, hope its not the head.
                sounds like an air lock or thermostat to me, or the head haha

Comment

I have the same problem.

Only trouble was mine started this in portugal during a euro trip, then decided it would go pop in Andora.

Since I've been home though its been fine/ish!

I'm pretty sure my head is buggered now after all the miles I did after I first noticed it.

Just going to change thermostat and no try this little trick and then get the head pressure tested. I hope its ok though.

Are there any other things that could be checked?

Comment

Originally posted by djp_y2k
                    I have the same problem.

Only trouble was mine started this in portugal during a euro trip, then decided it would go pop in Andora.

Since I've been home though its been fine/ish!

I'm pretty sure my head is buggered now after all the miles I did after I first noticed it.

Just going to change thermostat and no try this little trick and then get the head pressure tested. I hope its ok though.

Are there any other things that could be checked?
                    Mine had been throwing out coolant because of the radiator cap, after I replaced it, the problem went away and I am running without a stat.

Comment

Did the incline thing with the rad off. Level didnt move. Its back to normal now.

WRT the rad cap, is it that the old one wont hold the pressure so lets water pass by into the over flow that is the problem ? ?

Comment

Did the incline thing with the rad off. Level didnt move. Its back to normal now.

WRT the rad cap, is it that the old one wont hold the pressure so lets water pass by into the over flow that is the problem ? ?
                        i would check out the viscous fan
                        wot i mean is top it up with more oil
                        1 hours work a 12mm spanner 10mm spanner and a phillips screwdriver oh and a tenners worth of oil sorted all my overheating probs..
                        john
                        Last edited by mud skipper; 28 March 2008, 14:27.
                        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Just to finish off this thread, i have sorted the problem.

It was the fact that i needed to screw the rad cap on completely until it 'locks'.

Have been doing this now for a month and coolant level has stayed constant.

I'm very

Comment

Working...
                          X