cooling fan stuck on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling fan stuck on

The cooling fan in front of the rad on my 2.4 SSR X is stuck in the on position.
    I'm assuming this is because the thermostat is bust or not functioning properly.
    Engine oil temp gauge reads same as ever, about half-way across. But fan is noisy and probably not a good idea to drive indefinitely with it running continuously. Has anyone else had to obtain / fix new thermostat, and would anyone out there agree with my diagnosis?
    cheers

[QUOTE=sussexhalf]
    Engine oil temp gauge reads same as ever,

I think you will find that its a oil pressure guage , the fan problem i cant help with but what is your coolant temp guage doing
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

[QUOTE=ianwoodzie]
      Originally posted by sussexhalf
      Engine oil temp gauge reads same as ever,

I think you will find that its a oil pressure guage , the fan problem i cant help with but what is your coolant temp guage doing
      I'll have a look at vehicle and get back to you.
      Last time I looked, all gauges seeemed to be reading same as ever, but I'll have a check.

Comment

Also check that the cooling fan hasn't earthed out... the switch is set in the thermostat housing.

Remove the connector, and manually earth it to see if it works... the switch might be broken.

If it fails, it earths so that fan always runs to get you home.

Comment

I recently had to replace mine. Not that it failed but because I broke it. They are £20ish from Toyota main dealer.
          It is the sender nearest the front of the thermostat housing. Carefully remove the connector and earth it to anywhere and the fan should stop. The Toyota replacement, should you need to change it, is an improved design and not so easy for clumsy oafs to break.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Doing my head in!

Right, my 1992 2.4 SSRX runs fine. All gauges are fine etc.

When i got it the cooland was a lovely green colour.

But twice now, second time yesterday, its spat its coolant out via the overflow bottle.

Last time, i topped up the level in the engine and all seemed fine, that was about 2 weeks ago, but yesterday it did it again.

Am i geting cyl head probs or is it something else?

Dai

Comment

You might be lucky and find you just need a rad cap try this first.
              ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Originally posted by DaiZX
                Right, my 1992 2.4 SSRX runs fine. All gauges are fine etc.

When i got it the cooland was a lovely green colour.

But twice now, second time yesterday, its spat its coolant out via the overflow bottle.

Last time, i topped up the level in the engine and all seemed fine, that was about 2 weeks ago, but yesterday it did it again.

Am i geting cyl head probs or is it something else?

Dai
                When you topped up did you just fill the header tank or did you fill up at the rad cap, with heater(s) controls wide open and give all the hoses a good squeeze?
                If your cylinder head had gone it would puke out the coolant from cold. You might be lucky and just have an air lock or as suggested above, your rad cap and/or thernostat might need replacing.

Good luck.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Sorry !! ment to start my own thread, not add it here.....!

i added the wated via rad cap. not sure if both heater controls were open (asume this means on hot???)

Will do it again.

Doesnt do it when cold.

Started my own thread now,

appologies for the hikjack again...!

dai

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                    Also check that the cooling fan hasn't earthed out... the switch is set in the thermostat housing.

Remove the connector, and manually earth it to see if it works... the switch might be broken.

If it fails, it earths so that fan always runs to get you home.
                    Could you tell me where the thermostat housing is?
                    (I can just about open the bonnet on my own without professional assistance.)

Comment

Originally posted by sussexhalf
                      Could you tell me where the thermostat housing is?
                      (I can just about open the bonnet on my own without professional assistance.)
                      The thermostat housing is under the rad cap.
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                        The thermostat housing is under the rad cap.
                        Justa quick question but do you have two sensors coming out of your housing? If so the upper one sends the temp to the dash and the lower one is a water level sensor (according to toyota). Mine broke at the hands of an expert and now my additional fan is on all the time. I can;t seem to fix it as the part is no longer available (according to the computer in Yota in Cork).

Let me know how you get on.

C
                        I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

Comment

I'm going round the garage now. I will find the reciept and get the Toyota part no off it. They have changed the design slightly (it's not all plasticky like before) so it's not so easy to wreck. It also has a normal spade connector instead of that nightmare plastic connector.
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by sheeprus
                            I can;t seem to fix it as the part is no longer available (according to the computer in Yota in Cork).
                            balls!

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php...id=149&vid=948
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                              I'm going round the garage now. I will find the reciept and get the Toyota part no off it. They have changed the design slightly (it's not all plasticky like before) so it's not so easy to wreck. It also has a normal spade connector instead of that nightmare plastic connector.
                              Phil, the normal temp sensor is available with the two connector types, according to what you need, the rad fan switch is the same for all.

http://www.toyotahilux.com/media.php?file=813

http://www.toyotahilux.com/media.php?file=614

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X