X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for long trip

Hello all,

First post, so be gentle ;o)

I am preparing to take my 2.4td '92 surf on a skiing trip to France, which is a 2000km round-trip. Can anyone recommend an appropriate list of spare parts to take with me for roadside repairs i.e. bits and pieces which may be likely to go wrong etc?

The reason for the question and in case anyone finds the info useful:

I took it on a surf trip to France last year and 1km away from the campsite after a 1200km journey, one of the fanbelts snapped and the engine overheated leaving us with a Renault Megane Espace hire car for a week - urggh! At the French Toyota garage somewhere near Biarritz, they said that the head had probably cracked due to overheating and I was looking at £1000+ in costs. In reality, once I had managed to persuade Green Flag (who were always friendly, never helpful) to repatriate the car, my own garage inspected it and it turned out to be a faulty thermostat causing the overheating warnings - there was actually nothing wrong with the engine at all (since only one of the surf's twin fanbelts had snapped).

Anyways, many thanks in advance!

take a can of oil, bottle of water and a pair of tights.

make sure your spare tyre's in good condition... maybe take 2

spare key?

can of diesel?

if you plan for everything then you're gonna end up towing another car behind you
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

yeah, oil, bulbs, fuses, spare belts, water and your camera.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Duct tape and zip-ties (various sizes) - there is almost nothing that can't be fixed with these!
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
          Duct tape and zip-ties (various sizes) - there is almost nothing that can't be fixed with these!
          I've personally always found the big size of cable tie tends to cover just about every occasion.
          Amalgamating tape and insulation tape are another two pieces of indispensable kit.

Matt

Comment

Working...
          X