Preventive medicine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventive medicine?

Hi to all,I,m new here as I have just imported an 86 2LT powered Landcruiser and as luck (MY luck) would have it the Cruiser has serious engine problems.The turbo pumps as much oil as it does air..the rings are worn out and the cylinder head when mounted in the magnaflux machine looks like broken glass!!So the turbo is being rebuilt,new rings and of course a brandy new cylinder head.So what can I do to ensure the longevity of the 2LT AFTER IT,S FIXED?Engine oil cooler? Turbo timer?Maybe keep the engine in the shed and use a Chevy engine instead??Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Hi and welcome. With all tbat done and making sure that the cooling system is 100% - check the viscous fan, flush out the radiator or get it refurbished, make sure the waterways in the block are clean and a new head, the engine should last for ages. Shouldn't need an engine oil cooler ( the 2LT engine already has one behind the oil filter apparantly) in Nova Scotia, ain't going to get hot enough up there. Just change the oil and filter every 5000 miles, also if you feel you want to spend the money, a good investment is a larger exhaust pipe (3 inch front pipe from Turbo, 2.5 inch the rest of the way). This will help keep the engine temps down by getting rid of the hot exhaust gasses. You could also fit a Pyro guage to check exhaust temps but not really neccessary. Overall apart from some head problems the 2LT engine is built really strong, the bottom end is pretty bulletproof.

Cheers and good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
    X