Cracked head saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked head saga

I read with interest these posts about this problem having suffered with it myself. Don't know if people have seen this but I came across somewhere a translation of a Toyota document addressing exactly this fault. It seems the fault lies with the head gasket not sealing properly and thus allowing water to escape into the combustion area. The resulting vapourisation causes the cracks. Toyotas remedy is to change the gasket to a new improved design. I saw the same problem on another engine I worked with; 12 cylinder, 126.8 litre, 950 rpm, 2950 hp railway diesel two stroke. Exactly the same thing was happening, but it was easier and quicker to fix than on the Surf!

not true well nbot completely,,,basically there is a water coolant pipe hole in the head above all four sets of valves,if you look under the head you will notice 4 grooves in betweent each set of valves..this is for the combustion to swirl properly or to make it combust more even should i say,you will also notice that the the groove in the top of the piston.this matches the groove in the head ,,,,basically what im saying is they have machined it very thin at this point and with the cooler water behind and the hot heat of combustion it is bound to crack,,,and this is the reason they crack,,,,

on earlyier model you can drill/bore the water hole out slightyly and put a piece of pipe down the hole to act as the water way ,,this i s a cheap way to fix the broken head,,,,,but on the later heads you can see they have 2 holes drilled into the head and these cannot be fixed grrrr,,,

buy a new head and all the correct bits like i did and things should be ok,,,,

happy noel all :L)

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for that. I bought another head from a s****py in Brum. The first one he selected had cracks but the second was OK. So what you're saying is that even though I have a new improved gasket, I could still get the same problem occur!? Anyone want to buy a Surf?

Comment

i would say by what i have been told here in new zealand,that there is a high chance it could happen again yes,a sure bet would be to buy a new head and then maybe you will get many more miles from the beasty ....

(In new zealand its full of these truck's so its a good guess they know what there talking about aye ! )

Comment

Working...
        X