is the rear axle of a surf the same on its pick-up version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the rear axle of a surf the same on its pick-up version

i have an imported 97-p hilux ssrx pickup which some drunken fool crashed into and bent the rear axle housing, the shafts are ok so i was gonna just swap the diff and shafts over to a housing off a surf but dont know if they are the same or how hard it is to swap over stuff. any advice would me much appreciated
    ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!

:copy/paste:

I'm guessing you'd need a UK pickup rear axle rather than a surf one, although the axle is basicly the same, Surfs are coil spring rears, with all the brackets for the 4 links and panhard rod. All pickups are still leaf sprung rears with different mounting brackets, although your front end is the same IFS as a Surf.

A pickup rear end should be easier to find than a Surf one, just make sure the gearing is correct

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

how hard

Originally posted by TonyN
      :copy/paste:

I'm guessing you'd need a UK pickup rear axle rather than a surf one, although the axle is basicly the same, Surfs are coil spring rears, with all the brackets for the 4 links and panhard rod. All pickups are still leaf sprung rears with different mounting brackets, although your front end is the same IFS as a Surf.

A pickup rear end should be easier to find than a Surf one, just make sure the gearing is correct

how hard would it be to change over the gearing to the new housing if the doner was wrong?

Comment

Its pretty easy, the diff chunk comes out complete, so it doesn't need setting up. You unbolt the brake back plates, pull the axles out, then you can remove the diff from the housing.

I'd use the new axle shafts if poss, if its been hit hard enough to bend the axle, the shafts may be bent as well, especially if they've sat in a bent houseing for any lenght of time.

Comment

Its pretty easy, the diff chunk comes out complete, so it doesn't need setting up. You unbolt the brake back plates, pull the axles out, then you can remove the diff from the housing.

I'd use the new axle shafts if poss, if its been hard enough to bend the axle, the shafts may be bent as well, especially if they've sat in a bent houseing for any lenght of time.

thank you very much. the nut that holds the prop shaft plate to the diff should i undo this before the half shafts come out or does it not matter

Comment

Originally posted by zem_41
            thank you very much. the nut that holds the prop shaft plate to the diff should i undo this before the half shafts come out or does it not matter
            You don't need to undo that, once the driveshafts are removed, undo the ring of nuts and pull the diff chunk out complete.

Comment

You don't need to undo that, once the driveshafts are removed, undo the ring of nuts and pull the diff chunk out complete.

thank you tonyn you have been a great help

Comment

Working...
              X