Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Had the head replaced after overheating but now that the surfs back it needs a BP truck to follow as it uses fuel like its free,smokes on start up and seems to be running fast, also now using oil at a fair rate.
    repairs done by importers garage ZOOM 4 Cars at blackburn.
    Any help appreciated.

Originally posted by Richard
    Had the head replaced after overheating but now that the surfs back it needs a BP truck to follow as it uses fuel like its free,smokes on start up and seems to be running fast, also now using oil at a fair rate.
    repairs done by importers garage ZOOM 4 Cars at blackburn.
    Any help appreciated.
    Richard.

Mine smokes more since the new head (mind you that is now reducing - don't know why). With regards to the fuel consumption I would say that this is tied up with the smoke and I reckon they got the pump timing wrong causing you to waste a lot of fuel by pumping it out the back as smoke (unburnt fuel) and having to work the car more. Alternatively they trashed one or more of the injectors while dismantling or forgot to attach the wire to the glowplugs, or got one of the emission control pipes on wrong.

With regards to the oil burning, thta may just be a side effect of the head being changed, they may have done a full decoke in which case you will use more oil until the coke ridge around the top of the bores builds up again. This acts as a seal at the top of the bore on an older engine and if it is removed the oil control ring on the piston can't quite manage to make the seal with a worn bore.

Other than that, they may have left some swarf in the bores and when they started it up it's trashed a ring.

With the running fast it sounds like that may be the cause of the fuel consumption owing to too much fuel, if it's earlier tha 1991 then the engine has a cold start fuel enrichment device which they could well have connected wrong or damaged when removing the head (there are a lot of these units around the outside of the engine block that are relativeley easily damaged.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers

Comment

Cheers Lucky
      Thanks fot that info I will keep an eye on it and keep everyone posted on the outcome, by the way it is a 1993 ssrx 2.4.

Comment

Think l would be going back to the garage and haveing a word with them
        Live Life To The Full

Comment

Working...
        X