I'm now very scared. Help, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm now very scared. Help, please.

Just come across this site while looking up toyota surfs. Good news is i have today placed a deposit on a 92 Surf Auto. Bad news is, i am now terrified of all these overheating problems i@m now reading about. The motor i've purchased has done 53k, is a 2.4 and i will be the first uk owner, it's come direct from japan. firstly is there anything i can do to stop the overheating? Should i change head and /or gasket before other damage is done. Should i have bought a PAJERO? Sorry about the mitsubishi word. Any info would be greatly welcomed. BRAMS

dunno, got mine with 70 on the clock, has now done 108. not a whisper of a problem, so maybe you dont need to worry so much

Comment

Relax! Not all 2.4 Surfs overheat. A lot of 2.4 owners on here have had no problems in two years or more. The first thing you need to do when you get yours is to completely flush the cooling system, fit a new rad cap and thermostat, and refill ( I chuck in about 2 litres) with a good quality antifreeze.
      Then just check levels every couple of days, as you should do on any car really, and it will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BRAMS
        Just come across this site while looking up toyota surfs. Good news is i have today placed a deposit on a 92 Surf Auto. Bad news is, i am now terrified of all these overheating problems i@m now reading about. The motor i've purchased has done 53k, is a 2.4 and i will be the first uk owner, it's come direct from japan. firstly is there anything i can do to stop the overheating? Should i change head and /or gasket before other damage is done. Should i have bought a PAJERO? Sorry about the mitsubishi word. Any info would be greatly welcomed. BRAMS

overheating problems only seem so bad because there covered so much!
        Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
          overheating problems only seem so bad because there covered so much!
          Fear not my friend as someone recently said to me if the head goes then get a replacement and enjoy the Surf. mine did I got it fixed in days for a better deal than I ever thought possible and have no problems it's a lot of motor for little cash so whats a new head, well fitted with all extras was only £1250s.

I'm happy

hopefully you will never need to but if you do it's not the end of the world better to have blown your head than never to have owned a Surf. For all the motors If had over the years this is the best yet. it pulls my fishing boat up the slip goes anywhere I ask it to on and off road and it's bl**dy comfy only thing is if I drive fast the fuel guage goes down with equal enthusiasm but hey I didn't expect to go fast in it thats what me bikes for.

one other thing I just found out panels are dirt cheep if you ever go 3 rounds with 85kgs of prime Highland stag

Cheers
          www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

ta very muchly,

So it's a case of grab the stag by it's antlers then!!!!
            Thanks for the feedback, will see what happens. keep you all updated and will post a picture of the grey reaper when i'v picked her up.
            By the way has anybody had any dealings with a dealer in Basingstoke, called NEVILLES VEHICLE SOLUTIONS. Based at pinewood , chineham business park, crockford lane, chineham basingstoke. Any news would be welcomed.

Comment

If the inevetable does happen we have to very good Mechanics (forum members)who wont rip you off & will do an excellent job at a good price.
              STEVO or TONYN
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

So it's a case of grab the stag by it's antlers then!!!!
                Thanks for the feedback, will see what happens. keep you all updated and will post a picture of the grey reaper when i'v picked her up.
                By the way has anybody had any dealings with a dealer in Basingstoke, called NEVILLES VEHICLE SOLUTIONS. Based at pinewood , chineham business park, crockford lane, chineham basingstoke. Any news would be welcomed.
                tony is local to them he might know something
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Out of interest, how much are you paying for it, and is it an SSR-X ??

Comment

yes ssr-x and its 3 grand on a j plate. typical i've just been offered a L plate, dark blue 3.0 L 90 thousand MILES. £3,500. More reliable????
                    Do you guys have a meet at all? would be good to get loads of TOY...ota surfs together and go off roading somewhere. Something to think about.

Comment

yes ssr-x and its 3 grand on a j plate. typical i've just been offered a L plate, dark blue 3.0 L 90 thousand MILES. £3,500. More reliable????
                      Do you guys have a meet at all? would be good to get loads of TOY...ota surfs together and go off roading somewhere. Something to think about.
                      Never heard of that Basingstoke dealer I'm afraid. As you are buying from a garage/dealer explain that you know there is an issue with the 2.4 heads and make sure you get a warranty that covers the head... then if it does go it should be covered, and if it doesn't then you're laughing. Any good dealer should happily provide said warrant.
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that Linda. Buy the way the surf looks great and doing what it was designed to do. Not just ferrying to and from schools.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If I were you (I know I'm not!) 2yrs younger, 3.0L it has a lot going for it , I would certainly have a look, the 3.0L is so much better, if it ain't no good what have you lost? and it is blue as well - saaay no more!
                          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                          Tony

Comment

I have had my surf H reg 2.4 a year and a half changed the cambelt and fuel pump seals myself £36.00 but have spent nothing since no overheating problems so its only a few that do ?

Comment

Thanks for that Linda. Buy the way the surf looks great and doing what it was designed to do. Not just ferrying to and from schools.

if you do get it make sure and let us know when you are coming down to get it... come and have a cuppa and meet the residents (surfs, pickups and 4 runners I mean)

Personally - I'd take the 3.0 given tat the money is nearly the same - more power, similar MPG, no special head worries...

Yep - we have lots of meets - keep an eye on the offroad forums for muddy meets and general forum for some of the Chrimbo meetups coming up.
                              Last edited by Linda; 22 November 2005, 22:52.
                              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X