Too much smoke...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much smoke...

Hi, I am a proud owner of a 1993 2.4TD ssrx Surf which I acquired 2 days ago! The Surf is almost immaculate outside but when driving I can see it belching out far too much black smoke-I am new to Surfs and new to Diesels aswell;this being my first experience of both I've got no idea what's causing it and how to fix it.

I'm not being thick- I know diesels aren't the most environmentally friendly but- this is a major polluter! It happens when downshifting on the motorway and particularly just after starting. The only way I've got it stop is by driving at 20mph! Anyone got any ideas how to fix it and what's causing it?

Thanks

drgonzo
    I remain, as always,

Gonzo

its just the surf genie trying to get out!
    have you tried feeding it redex?
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
      its just the surf genie trying to get out!
      have you tried feeding it redex?
      No I haven't... is it obvious which redex I should get or is there only one?

Ta muchly
      I remain, as always,

Gonzo

Comment

theres one for diesel, one for petrol.. the forum recipe varies from instructions on the bottle... tip the lot in and drive it like you stole it!
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Cheers Chillit, I'll give it a go.

gonzo
          I remain, as always,

Gonzo

Comment

A dirty air filter will cause smoke as well.

Comment

Done both of the above and it's much better-I don't feel guilty about the emissions now you can't see them! Cheers Chillit & Bushwhacker

Gonzo
              I remain, as always,

Gonzo

Comment

now you wont get your 3 wishes!
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Just done my head

Well had my surf about three months ,eveything was great,then one day it overheated and presto I had joined the head blowing club.Anyway changed my head,but now getting more smoke than before.I see what evrybodt says about filters and redex etc,sounds good advice.By the way I had been good to my surf ,changed the antifreeze and all that,but didnt change the pressure cap ,BEWARE!!

Comment

Working...
                  X