Quick exhaust query...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick exhaust query...........

Gotta get under the car tomorrow and have a good look, but it looks like the exhaust has snapped off just behind the rear box. There was a little bit of rust on it when I last serviced it but I didn't expect it to just snap off so quickly!

Ive done a search here on "exhaust" but most of the posts are some time ago. What are my options? Is there anywhere I can get a decent quality stainless steel replacement for just the rear bit? Otherwise it looks like Millner's £115 for the rear box but made out of mild steel. I don't think I could stretch to the £300 plus for a custom made stainless steel one right now. Are there any stainless systems to buy off the shelf for the surf?

I saw a post on people clubbing together to get a stainless steel one made - did that not come to anything?

If my mate hadn't pointed out that the tail pipe was hanging at a funny angle I would never have noticed - doesn't sound any different!

Tonks

Mines going just behind the back box. When it falls off I am going to cut the back box off and weld on a nice bit of transit pipe I have been saving. It's just the right shape to exit behind the rear wheel.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

try here for stainless bits http://www.jetex.co.uk/index.php

Comment

try here for stainless bits http://www.jetex.co.uk/index.php
        Thanks ssray, couldn't find anything listed for the Surf though, I'm not really confident enough to order bits hoping they will fit.

Got a couple of quotes from local fabricators this morning and they both came out within the £350 to £400 range for stainless all through. Yikes!!

Tonks

Comment

my pipe has split after the main box i have planned to cut it just after the flexi and usind adapters change to 2.5 inch pipe with a small silencer.should end up slightly more than a orig but at least the bit that goes is stainless.also i have read the main restriction is the main box

Comment

Discovered mine had split at the MOT.

Japanese imports in middlewhich (just off J18 of the M6) put me a standard one on for 140inc vat fitted, which seemed resonable. (compared with the hassle of ordering one from milners and doing it myself didn't seem worth the 25quid difference.)

Comment

hi i bought my back box 3L TD of ebay for £90 includeing next day delivery but they are not hard stainless steal they are soft steel but you get 12 months guarantee had no problems with mine about 1 hour to fit. there is some on now a few different dealers are selling them.
              may be worth it until you get £300 for proper one. try blue flame in SKELMERSDALE WIGAN full hard stainless steel system for mine would cost £280 fitted but did'nt have money at time.
              hope this helps

Comment

exhaust

Originally posted by Tonka
                Gotta get under the car tomorrow and have a good look, but it looks like the exhaust has snapped off just behind the rear box. There was a little bit of rust on it when I last serviced it but I didn't expect it to just snap off so quickly!

Ive done a search here on "exhaust" but most of the posts are some time ago. What are my options? Is there anywhere I can get a decent quality stainless steel replacement for just the rear bit? Otherwise it looks like Millner's £115 for the rear box but made out of mild steel. I don't think I could stretch to the £300 plus for a custom made stainless steel one right now. Are there any stainless systems to buy off the shelf for the surf?

I saw a post on people clubbing together to get a stainless steel one made - did that not come to anything?

If my mate hadn't pointed out that the tail pipe was hanging at a funny angle I would never have noticed - doesn't sound any different!

Tonks
                Hi There is a place in Dorchester Dorset called Top Gear they fitted a compleat exhaust for £161.70 + vat they do nothing but stainless steel stuff tel no is 01308 425895 they might be able to post it. shiny

Comment

Thanks guys for the contacts, I will try both of them out. I just got quoted £320 + VAT for a stainless steel replacement of the rear section i.e. up to the flexible joint, including the two boxes. That would seem a bit expensive.

The other thing is what bore to go for? The guy I saw yesterday suggested 2.25" rather than 2.5" because of noise implications but with straight through boxes to improve flow (and therefore bhp).

Do the amounts you guys have quoted above include the whole system from the turbo down?

Cheers!

Comment

as you have a turbo this will damp out a lot of noise,go for 2.5 you know you want 2

Comment

as you have a turbo this will damp out a lot of noise,go for 2.5 you know you want 2
                      TRUE!!

If I do go for 2.5" with straight through boxes how noisy will it be though? It's not like there's a sweet sounding v8/12 under the hood, I don't want it to sound like a really, really loud taxi!!

Tonks

Comment

Working...
                      X