new owner not a clue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new owner not a clue

just bought toyota surf 1991 ssr-x 2.4d,aint a clue about them had trouble starting,new glow plugs,newfilter.to start it i have to pump the damper on the diesil filter then it starts no problems,any idea and any tips you have on the above model
    thanks

Originally posted by monki
    just bought toyota surf 1991 ssr-x 2.4d,aint a clue about them had trouble starting,new glow plugs,newfilter.to start it i have to pump the damper on the diesil filter then it starts no problems,any idea and any tips you have on the above model
    thanks

Sounds like there's a fuel problem somewhere probably a partial blockage - it'll just be a process of elimination.. Start by cracking the injectors and making sure the fuel is getting to each...

Does it actually start at all? if so whats it like? any smoke, chugging, power loss, stalling etc?

Finally - Might be a bit way off on this one - I know with petrol if you leave it for a long time it looses its goodness and you have trouble starting etc... not sure if diesel is the same... if so try filling it up with fresh diesel (draining whats in the tank if needs be) - only do this if you don't know how old the diesel is.

Joe

Where abouts are you?
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

As you've replaced the fuel filter, you've probably got an air bubble in the fuel.
      It may sort itself out after a few starts. If not you'll have to loosen the injectors and get someone to crank the engine while you watch for diesel to spurt from the injector pipes you just loosened. When this happens, stop cranking and re-tighten injector pipes, this should cure it.
      Also check you haven't blown the glowplug fuse, a few people accidently do this when renewing their glowplugs so don't feel like a pleb if you have.....

p.s. Welcome to the wacky world of Surfdom.

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
        Sounds like there's a fuel problem somewhere probably a partial blockage - it'll just be a process of elimination.. Start by cracking the injectors and making sure the fuel is getting to each...

Does it actually start at all? if so whats it like? any smoke, chugging, power loss, stalling etc?

Finally - Might be a bit way off on this one - I know with petrol if you leave it for a long time it looses its goodness and you have trouble starting etc... not sure if diesel is the same... if so try filling it up with fresh diesel (draining whats in the tank if needs be) - only do this if you don't know how old the diesel is.

Joe

Where abouts are you?
        Hi
        in england liverpool well just outside. its fresh diesel thats in it,its starts evertime after the first start just seem to be in the morning it runs fine,had a valve fitted to stop the deisel draining back but still wont start first thing in a morning still have to pump it
        Ian

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          As you've replaced the fuel filter, you've probably got an air bubble in the fuel.
          It may sort itself out after a few starts. If not you'll have to loosen the injectors and get someone to crank the engine while you watch for diesel to spurt from the injector pipes you just loosened. When this happens, stop cranking and re-tighten injector pipes, this should cure it.
          Also check you haven't blown the glowplug fuse, a few people accidently do this when renewing their glowplugs so don't feel like a pleb if you have.....

Hi
          thanks for the reply,but totally lost with how you do that.the heater plugs are fine.had a valve fitted to stop the deisel draing back but still the same.they say it might be the pump itself,any ideas
          thanks
          Ian

Comment

Hi
            thanks for the reply,but totally lost with how you do that.the heater plugs are fine.had a valve fitted to stop the deisel draing back but still the same.they say it might be the pump itself,any ideas
            thanks
            Ian
            find the imjectors, (do a search on here) loosen 1, get someon to turn the engine over whilst you watch for diesel, when diesel squirts out tighten up... repeat this process for each

if u unsure call me on 0161 286 3790

Joe
            Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Your problem is either Glow Plugs (blown fuse from shorted glow plug rail) or fuel filter primer has a leaking diaphragm or seals in pump starting to allow air to enter as engine cools down.

Neville

Comment

thanks for the reply
                where would i find the fuse? feel like a clown,aint a clue when it comes to engines.had a hand pumpfitted on the deisel primer also a valve to stop the deisel leaking back.went out before pressed the accelerator a few times and it did start.lad who looked at it said it could be the deisel pump.
                sorry for all the questions
                Ian

Comment

Joe

Where abouts are you?
                  Hiya joe
                  only bought the surf last saturday,was fine for a few days no problems.went otu to start it in the morning,just would not start ended up flattening the battery,put it on charge,when i put it back on started straight away no problems.
                  next morning the same anyway got it started so mechanic i know said change the filter and glow plugs so did that,started ok,next day same again,mate put me in touch with a diesel fitter he came had a look said it was the primer had gone so he fitted a hand pump to pump the diesil primer,yet again started no problem,next day same again so he came back out and fited a valve to stop it draining back,started great,next day same again,pump the pump a few times and it starts, so any ideas whats next.
                  sorry for this being so long
                  my regards
                  Ian

Comment

thanks for the reply
                    where would i find the fuse? feel like a clown,aint a clue when it comes to engines.had a hand pumpfitted on the deisel primer also a valve to stop the deisel leaking back.went out before pressed the accelerator a few times and it did start.lad who looked at it said it could be the deisel pump.
                    sorry for all the questions
                    Ian
                    Hiya only bought the surf last saturday,was fine for a few days no problems.went otu to start it in the morning,just would not start ended up flattening the battery,put it on charge,when i put it back on started straight away no problems.
                    next morning the same anyway got it started so mechanic i know said change the filter and glow plugs so did that,started ok,next day same again,mate put me in touch with a diesel fitter he came had a look said it was the primer had gone so he fitted a hand pump to pump the diesil primer,yet again started no problem,next day same again so he came back out and fited a valve to stop it draining back,started great,next day same again,pump the pump a few times and it starts, so any ideas whats next.
                    my regards
                    Ian

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                      Your problem is either Glow Plugs (blown fuse from shorted glow plug rail) or fuel filter primer has a leaking diaphragm or seals in pump starting to allow air to enter as engine cools down.

Neville
                      Hiya only bought the surf last saturday,was fine for a few days no problems.went otu to start it in the morning,just would not start ended up flattening the battery,put it on charge,when i put it back on started straight away no problems.
                      my regards
                      Ian

Comment

My brother had a similar problem on a diesel rangerover. He did all the things you have done but it turned out to be a tiny pinhole in the fuel feed line. It was too small to allow diesel to leak out but big enough to draw air in.

Mind you, thinking through what I have just written, his used to cut out a couple of minutes after starting, then he would have to prime it again. Still, it could just be drawing in enough air to cause an airlock in the fuel filter.
                        Another thought has just come to me. Could you have some water in your diesel that has gathered in the filter. Water can be drained off using the little tap on the bottom of the filter.

Good Luck.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Joe

Where abouts are you?
                          thanks Joe
                          done the injectors like you said and its fine .
                          thanks again
                          Ian

Comment

ta busherwacker problem solved
                            Monki

Comment

ta busherwacker problem solved
                              Monki
                              ha ha ha well thought it had worked went out this morning same again few pupms of the primer and it started,throw any light on this please
                              ta
                              monki

Comment

Working...
                              X