Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re

Hi,

Will try this, what is supposed to happen?

What shoud I be looking for?

Gary

Comment

As you steer towards full lock, the fluid should drop indicating that the hydraulics are working. then raise back up when the wheels are pointing straight ahead.

Comment

Hey Gary, here a look at the diagram at bottom of this page, the piston seal in the steering rack may have worn allowing the fluid past rather than pushing it.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering2.htm

Comment

You also need to bleed power steering pumps, when you fill it up, you need to start the engine and turn lock to lock 5 or 6 times (to the stops) while it is standing still, then top up again. It may be air in the system, often doesn't work it's way out from normal driving.

Also could be sticky track rod ends or ball joints.

Comment

Re

Originally posted by lucky
            You also need to bleed power steering pumps, when you fill it up, you need to start the engine and turn lock to lock 5 or 6 times (to the stops) while it is standing still, then top up again. It may be air in the system, often doesn't work it's way out from normal driving.

Also could be sticky track rod ends or ball joints.
            Thanks for the replies!

Would an "airlock" cause this kind of problem?

Stiffness occurs at idle although I have noticed that this is not hard and fast as sometimes, rarely, at idle the steering is normal???

As soon as you touch the accelerator the steering is fine again???

I have actually had this prob for quite a while but never was concerned up until the wife was nagging me 'cos she couldn't turn the wheels.

It's a major pain but I am still thrilled to have a surf!

They say things come in 3's, I have got a broken weld in the exhaust and also have noticed the chrome bumper end caps have been eaten alive and need replaced!

Have been quoted £390 or so for a stainless steel powerflow exhaust and when compared to the mild steel equivalent it is a bargain!

Ah well, she is worth it!

Later guys!

Thanks for the replies!

Gary

Comment

One thing that might affect it, what is your idle speed set at, sounds like you may be turning the pump too slow as when you rev it, the PS works. Try pressing the idle up button and see if it helps. My Surf idled at 750 - 800 rpm and 1100 with idle up.

If the idle is too slow the PS pump won't work properly, also if it is a bit worn, the engine needs to idle faster to make it work.

If this doesn't work I would suggest that the PS pump is too worn to work properly and a new one or a rebuild with new seals should make it work.

Comment

Working...
              X