Oil Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump?

on a bit of a road trip tuther day, suddenly all the warning lights came on....and the buzzer.

pulled over and noticed a great oil trail behind me, on looking underneath, found the front axle covered in oil, and more still pouring out of the under tray.....

after letting it cool down, i noticed the alternator was loose, the bolt had sheared, but what i did notice was the oil leak seemed to be coming from underneath the alternator, at the rear, i think its the oil pump?, and behind that, on the alternator seems to be the brake boost pump.

is this the oil pump....are they expensive......

cheers.....(1st week of ownership.......going swell )

2.8 Hilux double cab 1990
    Mat..

All things Lexus...ask moi

There is an oil feed pipe to the alternator mounted vacuum pump, may just be that has broken or come loose from the block. Think it has a short section of rubber hose on it to allow for the alternator to move.

Comment

The alternator has a Vacuum pump mounted to it.Later models have a front mount and earlier are rear mount like yours.The Vacuum Pump is pressure fed oil from engine to lubricate the vanes and one of the oil lines may be loose or been holed.There is usually banjo fittings on the pressure line.There is a feed line and a return line.The feed line comes from the oil cooler housing on side of engine and the return line goes to the sump.If oil has entered the alternator it may need removing and replacing the brushes etc.

Neville

Comment

Just beaten by Andy. I might also add that if you remove the banjo fittings replace the small copper sealing washers.There are two on each.

Neville

Comment

thanks, the truck is currently sitting in the AA repair centre in Dorking......will give them a call
          Mat..

Comment

Cheers, well just gave them a call, they say the whole pump is foobared....so will order a new one from Toyota with my special account and get it sent down.

cheers peeps, looks like i could be a truckin once again
            Mat..

Comment

"special account" eh!!??

is it like the "truckers special"?
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

£601.33........

crikey
                Mat..

Comment

Originally posted by Monster-Mat
                  £601.33........

crikey
                  For what? I got a brand new Alternator and Vacuum Pump for A$500.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                    For what? I got a brand new Alternator and Vacuum Pump for A$500.

Neville
                    for just the pump??????

surely thats the pump and alternator?
                    Last edited by Monster-Mat; 21 August 2005, 00:45.
                    Mat..

Comment

Working...
                    X