hole in hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hole in hose

I just got home and as I walked away from the Surf my heart stopped as I could see water on the floor and on the chassis inside the wheel.
    I feared the expansion bottle overflowing but it was dry and no water there.... i traced it to this little hose which is bulging (and should have been changed a while back when Rick told me) and must have a pinhole sized leak causing some water loss. Quite happy I found it as I knew the Surf was losing a little every now and then.
    When i checked though the top hose was pressurised but when i restarted the car it went back to normal, any ideas?

The timing is a real pain as I have a long journey to do tomorrow and now ill have to fix it beforehand.

Also any ideas what could cause this oil leak?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dirtydog; 9 August 2005, 16:59.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

what you need is some of that... um... think it's called "self amalgamating" tape??... something like that anyway!...

you wrap it on and it cures, kinda welding itself to itself and it looks a bit like tar.

you gotta wear gloves cos it gives you cancer though!...

get it from builders merchants (although they may have banned it now cos of the cancer thing!)
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

cheers mate - i really dont have time to sort it before i go tomorrow, need to do some local towing in the morning then its just me and the motor the rest of the day.
      My dad's a builder and he uses that stuff so hopefully theres some here knocking around
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        (and should have been changed a while back when Rick told me)
        Tut , tut ....................... I told you!
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          Tut , tut ....................... I told you!
          forgot all about it and its a pain to get at
          water pumps ok though mate TOUCH WOOD
          Tim

Comment

anyone know what internal diamter it is??? im guessing 25mm? I dont want to have to take it out before trotting off or phoning some new stuff.
            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog

When i checked though the top hose was pressurised but when i restarted the car it went back to normal, any ideas?
              Not generally a problem dude, when you shut the car down, all the water stops flowing through the rad and the coolant temp will rise for a bit, this will cause the pressure to rise as well. Whan you start it up, the temp will drop quite quickly and get back to normal.

Its a good time to spot small leaks, as the pressure will be more than when the motor is running normally.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

well done that man cheers thats what I guessed at pressure went when I started up - any idea on pipe dia?
                Tim

Comment

Working...
                X