X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke and Idling issue

Hello everyone.

Great forum you have here.

I bought a 2.4 TD Surf 5 speed manual about 4 months ago.

She is on a G and has done a good few KM's but starts on the first turn every morning and I am really enjoying owning / driving her.

There is one issue however I have noticed with her and wondered if any of you here have come accross this before and could set me in the right direction to fix it.

When you start her she is good as gold, but upon starting (hot or cold) after a few hundred yards she feels like she is losing power and great plumes of black smoke billow from the exhaust.

If you idle when this is happening the ilde goes up and down, sometimes bad enough to stall the car.

Usually after a mile of so the black smoke stops and normal power resumes.

I tried a diesel fuel additive to a tank of fuel a week or so ago to clean the fuel system right through but it has not solved the problem.

Can anyone give me any odea what is going on ?

Thanks and best wishes

Si

My first job would be to change the fuel/air filters.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hi Simon and welcome to Surfdom and the Forum. Not sure what your problems is (TonyN is a better bet for diagnosis) but sounds like it could be fuel related.
      Mike G

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick responses.

I will change the fuel and air filters and let you know how i get on !

Thanks again

Si

Comment

Could be EGR failing but usually they just pack up rather than play up, might be worth disconnecting for a day or to to see. Again if fuelling problem then I would have thought it would do it all the time, although it starts first time it may be the glow plugs or one of them gone down.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Sounds like air in the fuel lines to me . After sitting for a while the air is creaking the fuel lines , normally around fuel filter . On start up this is drawn into injector pump then injectors causing the rough run . Black smoke can be with this at the same time and is often seen as overfueling , but is not .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              Sounds like air in the fuel lines to me .

you close by then, I can't hear it
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                you close by then, I can't hear it
                Maybe the kettles boiling then , time for tea.
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_OFI
                  When you start her she is good as gold, but upon starting (hot or cold) after a few hundred yards she feels like she is losing power and great plumes of black smoke billow from the exhaust.

If you idle when this is happening the ilde goes up and down, sometimes bad enough to stall the car.

Usually after a mile of so the black smoke stops and normal power resumes.

I had the exact same thing happen with my engine and this is what I found. In the air intake piping, where the EGR pipe meets the turbo air, just before the intake manifold, there is a flap-type valve (God knows why it it there) that can completely block the air from the turbo. It is operated by a 2" vacuum solenoid immediately in front of it. When your engine starts going up and down at idle check and see if this valve is cycling open/closed. If so, there are two vacuum lines going to the actuator. Disconnecting the lower vacuum line should keep the valve open all the time. I see no reason why you would want to block air from your turbo so I just plugged the vacuum hose and left it off. Haven't had a problem since.

Good Luck,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Surf Canada
                    there is a flap-type valve (God knows why it it there) that can completely block the air from the turbo. It is operated by a 2" vacuum solenoid immediately in front of it. When your engine starts going up and down at idle check and see if this valve is cycling open/closed.Good Luck,

Paul
                    This sounds like the throttle butterfly.The Toyota diesels have this to aid engine shutdown.The engines can get a bit shakey on shutdown if these are not working properly.The vacuum solenoids control this when engine is running and can cause problems.

Try a search for High and Low Pressure Switches and also TPS on the Aussie site for info on this.There is also some info on the Tech Site.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                      This sounds like the throttle butterfly.The Toyota diesels have this to aid engine shutdown.The engines can get a bit shakey on shutdown if these are not working properly.The vacuum solenoids control this when engine is running and can cause problems.

Try a search for High and Low Pressure Switches and also TPS on the Aussie site for info on this.There is also some info on the Tech Site.

Neville
                      That makes sense because the one thing I have noticed now is it shuts down harder than before. I'll check into the switches.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X