Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not again

egr mod
    just tie wraped the feed pipe into the egr just need to ask wot do you do to the bit with the filter that goes to the steel pipe
    sorry to bring this up again
    Last edited by mud skipper; 28 March 2008, 14:30.
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

any one got an answer before i drive it

Comment

you've plugged the wrong bit, the ERG can be left open, it doesn't do anything, pull the pipe off and stick it on the filter, then you've stopped air getting into the vacuum system.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

tonyN to the rescue again, what would we do without you

Comment

I was just about to say that!
          3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

tonyN
            sorry to go on
            am i right in thinking the erg is a vac pump actuatted by the inlet manifold?
            so what is the rubber pipe going into it, where does that go.
            does it matter if both pipes are blocked off(the rubber one that used to go to the erg, and the erg one itself)

i have just taken the surf down the bypass and it seems to pull better from a standing start but what got me was it didnt change into top gear untill 81 mph before it changed at about 65/70mph

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
              tonyN
              sorry to go on
              does it matter if both pipes are blocked off(the rubber one that used to go to the erg, and the erg one itself)

i have just taken the surf down the bypass and it seems to pull better from a standing start but what got me was it didnt change into top gear untill 81 mph before it changed at about 65/70mph
              with your foot flat down you mean?
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                with your foot flat down you mean?
                actually with a 2.4? Mine can only do 86 on the GPS flat out wind behind me
                Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                  actually with a 2.4? Mine can only do 86 on the GPS flat out wind behind me
                  foot was welded to the floor
                  like wise mine only does 85 ish flat out, it will do 85 all day and the trottle is only half way down floor it and nowt happens

Comment

foot was welded to the floor
                    like wise mine only does 85 ish flat out, it will do 85 all day and the trottle is only half way down floor it and nowt happens
                    phew thought you had some magic potion in yours

You prob find that if accelerating through the gears it will keep going to a higher speed in that gear than if you kick down to the same gear. I think its due to the torque curve of the motor.
                    Tim

Comment

tonyN
                      sorry to go on
                      The EGR lets exhaust gases into the mixture to lower NoX emissions, by lowering the combustion temperature. the NoX gases occur at large throttle openings when the motor is under load. The vacuum pipe comes from a valve (under the EGR valve, its probably worked of the throttle posistion sensor/intake pressure sensor and ECU) thats decides when it need to dump exhaust gases into the intake.

Once you unplug the EGR valve it won't do anything. so theres no need to cap the valve end.

You need to cap the pipe end, or the valve will open under load, and it'll be open to air, and you'll loose vacuum power to the rest of the engines control systems.

If your EGR was working properly, you should notice less smoke and slightly better performance, as you not diluting the fuel mixture with inert exhaust gases, if your EGR was stuck shut with soot from the exhaust, it won't make any difference and will still run fine, and if you EGR is stuck open from soot, it won't make any difference and will still run like crap.

The only thing left to decide is, as your letting the motor run hotter without the EGR working, does the mixture need altering to stop it preigniting like a petrol car with the ignition advanced to far, therefore burning piston or valves.

Or seeing as UK 4Runner 3.0TD's don't have a EGR fitted at all, and Surfs don't seem to pink (that you can hear anyway) with it disconnected, is every thing fine and dandy?

Damn, not bad for a drunken midnight ramble, only a few typos need sorting!!

Comment

tonyN
                        sorry to go on

Not quite, you dont need to block off the EGR, with no vacuum to it it is perm shut.
                        Read this from one of my post ages ago, I read pages and pages of stuff on the EGR and put this together to try and understand how it works a bit better.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve
                        Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems were introduced in the early '70s to reduce an exhaust emission that was not being cleaned by the other smog controls. Oxides of nitrogen (NOx) are formed when temperatures in the combustion chamber get too hot. At 2500 degrees Fahrenheit or hotter, the nitrogen and oxygen in the combustion chamber can chemically combine to form nitrous oxides, which, when combined with hydrocarbons (HCs) and the presence of sunlight, produces an ugly haze in our skies known commonly as smog.

So basically it recirculates some of the exhaust gases back in to the block to reduce NOx. It says in doing this it reduces the operating temperature of the block, I have read many many articles on this topic. Some written by the Green/environment people who advocate you should never disconnect the EGR because of the detremental effects it has on your engine, of course they would, nothing to do with the environment of course.
                        Some by Profs. of motor mechanics, who don't deny in disconnecting the valve it raises the NOx levels released to atmosphere (our MOT laws in England don't test for NOx). They also claim that lowering the operating temperature is not a bad thing except the recirculated gases cause hot spots and on cast heads thats not good. The recirculated gases are reintroduced into the block on one side, so cooling that area not the far side of the engine, one side hotter than the other.
                        The other down side of the EGR is, in reintroducing the gases back in to the engine, this will place an even greater demand on engine oil performance through increased soot generation and acid levels. So you need to make sure regular oil changes are strictly adhered to.
                        The EGR also comes with another downside slight loss of power and decreased MPG.
                        The very early valves (like on the early surfs) were single diaphram valves that open on positve pressure (some open on negative pressure) these early valves entailed a mass of vacuum hoses within the engine bay. They were not that reliable, hoses can rot, split, the diaphram within the valve can perish, become perforated. All this leads to a non or poorly operational valve.
                        This system had many problems. It would often open to much, which caused a hesitation on acceleration as massive amounts of recirculated exhaust hit the combustion chamber. The peak temperature NOx is produced at only occurs when the engine is under full load, not all the time so with older style valves it recirculated all the time.
                        The newer valves are controlled by solonoids, so control the recirculation better only reintroducing the gases when the engine is under full load. So are more reliable don't effect performance so much or the MPG.
                        I have disconnected my EGR, I personally noticed more low down torque on my surf and better MPG. Yes my head has cracked 1 year after I got the motor and 10 months after disconnecting the EGR.
                        There are some who's heads have cracked and have never disconnected the EGR.
                        After replacing my head I reconnected the EGR for three weeks. Its diconnected again, couldn't stand the smoke it throws out the exhaust, the less grunt on acceleration and the worse MPG.
                        I hope this answers your question with an unbiased opinion, there are the greens who write articles on the EGR saying how great it is and mechanics who write articles saying the early valves were poor.
                        Thats the info, you make up your own mind.
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Hey Tony, I've just read through that twice, and to be honest, I thought your typing and spelling was BETTER!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Hey Tony, I've just read through that twice, and to be honest, I thought your typing and spelling was BETTER!
                            :ppfffttt......:

Comment

what would happen if the egr was altered to let clean air in, instead of smelly old exhaust gas???
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X