Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with the surf

Hope you guys can help me.
    Went camping around Derbyshire at the week-end.
    Had a great time but i do have a concern regarding the surf.
    As some of you already know, I have had a bit of trouble with smoke, so I did the redex treatment last week but only did it to recommended dosages.
    Anyway I have noticed a puff of black smoke on start -up as I had before, and when accelerating there seems to be a trail of smoke and people backing off.
    Especially when going up hill some poor family out cycling was engulfed in black smoke as I was doing around 20 mph up the hill back to the camp site this hill was steep. (Even the wife moaned at me)
    But when cruising around 50 to 60 mph can’t see any smoke at all in the mirrors.
    So after reading and at some people’s advice I have put 2 bottles of Wynn’s stop smoke in.
    Not took it for a good run yet but just sitting outside house and revving it every now and then seems the black smoke has gone BUT now WHITE smoke as I said though not took it for a run yet to see what it's like when warmed up
    Have any of you had same prob and how did you sort it.
    And was it costly
    Thanks
    kev.
    Regards
    Kev.
    2.4 black beast

UP-DATE
    Just spoken to a blocke from G. DEISELS of hucknall and
    He said,
    "its because its an import m8 it was built for jap roads"
    I said,
    "well iv'e seen other surf's around and they wern't smokin"
    He said,
    "thats because they have been done m8 we can't realy tell without looking at it for example the last one we did needed a new pump to stop it smokin"
    I said,
    "how much would it cost if its that"
    He said
    "£500"
    Is this guy trying it on guys or what??
    (GUTTED )
    Kev.
    Regards
    Kev.
    2.4 black beast

Comment

clearly he knows less than he thinks...
      british roads cause smoke because.......?
      try this
      http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Don't forget to do the EGR mod, this will cut your emissions too

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
          Don't forget to do the EGR mod, this will cut your emissions too

Trev
          Did this a few weeks a go
          Regards
          Kev.
          2.4 black beast

Comment

Originally posted by falconer
            UP-DATE
            Just spoken to a blocke from G. DEISELS of hucknall and
            He said,
            "its because its an import m8 it was built for jap roads"
            I said....

Kev.
            ...."Have I got GULLIBLE tatooed on my forehead or something!"

Well that would have been my reply to this idiot. Japanese roads are pretty similar to ours so he's just trying it on really. To quote £500 for a new diesel pump is ridiculous- without even seeing the car! I'd go to another garage and get the injectors cleaned and serviced first. White smoke from the exhaust is a bit more of a concern though could be an indication of failed head gasket.

Nevillef

Comment

Hope you guys can help me.
              Went camping around Derbyshire at the week-end.
              Had a great time but i do have a concern regarding the surf.
              As some of you already know, I have had a bit of trouble with smoke, so I did the redex treatment last week but only did it to recommended dosages.
              Anyway I have noticed a puff of black smoke on start -up as I had before, and when accelerating there seems to be a trail of smoke and people backing off.
              Especially when going up hill some poor family out cycling was engulfed in black smoke as I was doing around 20 mph up the hill back to the camp site this hill was steep. (Even the wife moaned at me)
              But when cruising around 50 to 60 mph can’t see any smoke at all in the mirrors.
              So after reading and at some people’s advice I have put 2 bottles of Wynn’s stop smoke in.
              Not took it for a good run yet but just sitting outside house and revving it every now and then seems the black smoke has gone BUT now WHITE smoke as I said though not took it for a run yet to see what it's like when warmed up
              Have any of you had same prob and how did you sort it.
              And was it costly
              Thanks
              kev.
              The white smoke is probably the additive burning off.

Have you replaced the air filter, 'cos a dirty filter will cause black smoke.

Is your oil level o.k. mine was very low, and I mean VERY low the other week and coincidently my truck was smoking like steam train. topped it up to the correct level and the smoking virtualy went away.

One more thing, my exhaust had a HUGE split in it from the centre silencer to the tailpipe. took it off and welded the split, now I get hardly any smoke at all, exept on cold startups.

Need to get new injectors now, and it should be perfect.

Comment

i agree with above comments...mine justs needs injectors doing...hey, £50 for a new pump is great. Toyota sell em for £1300???don't they???

Surf don't smoke though...justs drinks fuel LOL
                3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

i had black smoke problem some time back had the injectors overhauled and bingo NO SMOKE not even on the steepest of hills
                  Enjoying Life after Cancer
                  Pops

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    The white smoke is probably the additive burning off.

Have you replaced the air filter, 'cos a dirty filter will cause black smoke.

Is your oil level o.k. mine was very low, and I mean VERY low the other week and coincidently my truck was smoking like steam train. topped it up to the correct level and the smoking virtualy went away.

One more thing, my exhaust had a HUGE split in it from the centre silencer to the tailpipe. took it off and welded the split, now I get hardly any smoke at all, exept on cold startups.

Need to get new injectors now, and it should be perfect.
                    Yes m8 a friend serviced it for me a week ago and changed all filters,
                    checked the oil tonight while it was on a flat road.
                    Its about level to top of the flat part of the dip stick so its actually over max
                    but may be my fault as i put the 2 bottles of stop smoke in.
                    The plan now is to drop the cheap oil and put some castrol GTD in and its booked in for the diagnostic check on friday morning to see what they come up with.
                    Regards
                    Kev.
                    2.4 black beast

Comment

Yes m8 a friend serviced it for me a week ago and changed all filters,
                      checked the oil tonight while it was on a flat road.
                      Its about level to top of the flat part of the dip stick so its actually over max
                      but may be my fault as i put the 2 bottles of stop smoke in.
                      The plan now is to drop the cheap oil and put some castrol GTD in and its booked in for the diagnostic check on friday morning to see what they come up with.
                      not with the guy who told you jap roads were different i hope.
                      read in an aussie of road mag that hi lux injectors tend to need attention soon after 60k miles.
                      Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Originally posted by openback
                        not with the guy who told you jap roads were different i hope.
                        read in an aussie of road mag that hi lux injectors tend to need attention soon after 60k miles.
                        Yup
                        Was told by the bloke who tuned all my other cars and a few people at work last night the place in question comes highly recommended and is used by a lot of other firms.
                        But we will see what they have to say first before any work is done, also i have found another diesel fitter via a friend at work who said might be able to do the work cheaper and he even said take it to G. DESILES first to see what they find.
                        will keep you all posted after Friday
                        kev.
                        Regards
                        Kev.
                        2.4 black beast

Comment

g'day m8 just read your thread-- try replacing the o ring seals on the injectors the smoke usually indicates the seal is leaking and sucking in air
                          a good way of cheking this is to have a look round the injectors whilst in situ for any residue

Comment

Ok Guys
                            Had her checked out and the verdict is
                            Fuel pump timing out and
                            Injectors need replacing
                            Got her booked in for wednesday then hopefully will be sorted.
                            Regards
                            Kev.
                            2.4 black beast

Comment

New injectors x 4 fitted
                              And fuel pump timing adjusted
                              BUT still smoky on acceleration
                              rang em back up and they said its been running for a long time how it was and could be the exhaust cocked up and should clear after a few hundred miles
                              Has any one got any ideas??
                              By way ECG MOD already done

ALSO
                              They said they ajusted pump so no smoke at all but engine management system picked up on it or something anyway it didn't like it so they backed it off a notch again .
                              can anyone PLEASE HELP.
                              Regards
                              Kev.
                              2.4 black beast

Comment

Working...
                              X