2.4 or 3litre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 or 3litre

Hi all, been advised to get on here before i fork out for a motor. Sorry if this is an old question for you regulars but here it is. i was gonna buy a 2.4 ssrx Surf for 2.5k on a private sale, looking on ebay i was concerned about the number of cam and cylinder head probs so decided to go to a dealer and try and strike a good deal with a warranty (naieve?) anyway the guy seemed ok but totally put me off the 92j he had for sale and recommended i fork out 6k for a 3ltr 94l which doesnt have the problems with the head etc. Is he being straight up or should i look for a decent 2.4. I only want the motor for chucking the kids bikes and dogs in and maybe squirting about over the fields so i dont care about looks or if its tatty i just want a reliable motor. i currently own a 79 series 3 landrover and i'm fed up forking out for bits. would really appreciate a bit of advice.
    regards Paul

Only problem is - once you've got the Surf, you will like it so much you'll want to drive it everywhere - all the time.

£6k seems a bit much for a 94L 3.0ltr to me - why not get a 2.4 that has had the head changed for the modified one?

Kev

Comment

i wont be the only one to tell you this mate, if you can afford a 3,0ltr then buy one but if the right 2,4 comes a long at the right price the money difference can off set the risk of the head going, its not a dead cert its going to go and once its done then its good for life, well nearly, so take the risk and have a slush fund in case ,plus if it did go then your in the right place for help.just remember we all need help in this mad house

Comment

i had 600 posts on here before i bought one(!) and then i bought a 2.4 dirt cheap. its the way forward. i am thinking about a 3.0 when i have the funds tho.....
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Appreciate the replies, i'd be happy with the 2.4 but even with a grand put by in case the head went iwouldnt it be a risk of more damage? The dealer has got a couple of 3 litre 94 models up for 6k an ssg ltd edition and an ssrx ltd. The ssg has the recaro seats but looks a bit scruffy the ssrx looks tidier. I offered him 4.5k plus my old landy, he's thinking about it. I could really do with spending less (couldnt we all) i was gonna check out a 93k 2.4 for 2250 down in surrey but cant decide hence i'm on here.
          regards

Comment

The 2.4 is a fine motor, but the 3.0 is far better IMHO. The only issue with the 2.4's is the head, everything else is just the luck of the draw.

If you can afford it, get a 3.0, its gonna be a newer truck, so everything will have less wear on it in general.

The 2.4 is best value, don't pay more than £3k for one though. but £5.5+ for a tidy 3.0 is still money well spent .
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi
              Have you looked at the "Surfs for sale" section of the Forum?
              There are usually some good motors for sale that have been owned by genuine enthusiasts - they must be, they're members of the Forum!!!
              Keith

Comment

Yeah i looked at the surfs for sale on here, missed a good one from hemel hempstead last week went for 2650 on ebay, after the advice i'm gonna stick with the 3 litre option and hope i can squeeze the dealer, he's had em on his front for 6 months plus so a cash punter must get a result, bit gutted bout my land rover if he takes it he said he'll break it for the bits.
                thanks all, hope to be the owner of a surf some time next week
                regards Paul

Comment

Deffo go for a 3.0. I have had both and the 3.0 is far superior and much nicer to drive, plus fuel consumption is not meant to be much different between the two.

With a private sale you could get a very good condition 1995 3.0 for 5k. With a dealer you may get a "warranty" but you can get these yourself if you really want anyway, it's usually just an insurance policy against mechanical breakdown .

Have you looked on Autotrader website - even just to see what you can get for your money? Watch out though for dealers who just list cheap motors which dont actually exist (only there to get you to their site or call them up - losers).
                  No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

94/L 3.0ssrx

Originally posted by Paul739
                    Yeah i looked at the surfs for sale on here, missed a good one from hemel hempstead last week went for 2650 on ebay, after the advice i'm gonna stick with the 3 litre option and hope i can squeeze the dealer, he's had em on his front for 6 months plus so a cash punter must get a result, bit gutted bout my land rover if he takes it he said he'll break it for the bits.
                    thanks all, hope to be the owner of a surf some time next week
                    regards Paul
                    Hi m8

I tried sending you a pm re a surf that i have for sale, but, it appears you are not allowed to accept pm's, call me on 020 8577 1423. if you are interested.
                    [IMG][URL=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/s

Comment

Working...
                    X