X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW to Surf - out of the frying pan?

Hey - newbie here so please be gentle!

I've currently got my eye on a 1992 Hilux Surf SSR-X 2.4 Diesel

I've got a BMW right now and I always get the sweats when any repairs have to be done. I was thinking about changing to a Hilux because:
    a) I heard they were pretty much indestructible.
    b) They look cool! When I was on holiday in Malta, everyone seemed to have a pick-up or a Surf and they all looked great.

After reading some other articles on the forum and the great FAQs on Hilux Surfing all the talk of split cylinder heads and dodgy batteries got me thinking and I had some other questions that maybe someone could help with?
    • Am I "jumping out of the frying pan into the fire" with a Hilux? Do they have big running costs?
    • As they're import cars are spare parts hard and or expensive to come by?
    • Are the smaller 12 volt batteries readily available?
    • With it being an import car is there any specific documentation I should be asking the seller for apart from the V5/MOT?

I've been saving up for a new(er) car now for a while and I'm really not sure what to do.

Sorry if any of the questions seem really stupid, whingy or if it sounds like I'm a tight-wad, but I'd appreciate any help!!

Cheers

John
    [CENTER][IMG]http://www.thesteinerline.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/OhNiceGets2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Hi,i've had my surf for just over two years and in that time i've had to get a new exhuast,new tyres changed the timing belt,done services(oil/filters etc)and the clutch master cylinder.The surf's a fantastic car so go for it!

Comment

I gather from info on this site that 99% of 2.4's suffer from head problems so ensure when buying the head had already been done

or just buy the 3.0 (not biased at all )
      [COLOR=Red][FONT=Century Gothic]the unexamined life is not worth living...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Robb.
        I gather from info on this site that 99% of 2.4's suffer from head problems so ensure when buying the head had already been done

or just buy the 3.0 (not biased at all )
        Nah, more like 20%.

About the only weak point on the Surf appears to be the head on the 2.4. If it's been done, then there is pretty much nothing else to worry about.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

if it was 99% faliure rate on 2.4s you would have to be some kind of idiot to buy one...get a grip...
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            if it was 99% faliure rate on 2.4s you would have to be some kind of idiot to buy one...get a grip...
            Agreed.

Comment

So now we know it's only 20% we heve coined a new phrase. We have had calculated risk. Now we have calculated idiosy.

I have had my 2.4 for two years and so far........................... ............so good.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Evz
                • Am I "jumping out of the frying pan into the fire" with a Hilux? Do they have big running costs?

No more than any other car today, and a lot less than a BMW. Just remember its not a car, it won't go as fast, go round corners, be as economical, etc as a car.
                  Also remember, although they look new, but are not, remember how old they are and expect servicing/wear and tear repairs to be needed.

• As they're import cars are spare parts hard and or expensive to come by?

Nope, there are plenty of aftermarket parts suppliers, or Toyota dealers themselves
                • Are the smaller 12 volt batteries readily available?

A battery is just a battery, no difference.
                • With it being an import car is there any specific documentation I should be asking the seller for apart from the V5/MOT?

dunno, as long as you get a log book its legal, but you can get BIMTA check done to see if the dealer has clocked it from when it was imported.

I've been saving up for a new(er) car now for a while and I'm really not sure what to do.

Sorry if any of the questions seem really stupid, whingy or if it sounds like I'm a tight-wad, but I'd appreciate any help!!

Cheers

John
                In my opinion, the 94 3.0 2nd gen is the best overall truck, a up to 93' 2.4 is gonna be cheapest, and a later 3rd gen should be least hassle as it'll be newer.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Had 2 BM's before the Surf used Eurospares for parts a lot cheaper than the dealers.
                  The BM comes apart with a 12mm spanner and three cups of tea. The surf needs a small step ladder a packet of elastoplast and one of those magnetic pick up thingumyjigs

The local Toyato dealer here are enthusiastic about Surfs

A la Tony...... they drive different
                  The surf grin is bigger though

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone - think I'm sold on the idea!

John
                    [CENTER][IMG]http://www.thesteinerline.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/OhNiceGets2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                      Had 2 BM's before the Surf used Eurospares for parts a lot cheaper than the dealers.
                      The BM comes apart with a 12mm spanner and three cups of tea. The surf needs a small step ladder a packet of elastoplast and one of those magnetic pick up thingumyjigs

The local Toyato dealer here are enthusiastic about Surfs

A la Tony...... they drive different
                      The surf grin is bigger though
                      you forgott to menton the sledge hammer u need, and thats just to change a bulb lol,
                      Last edited by Ste00; 6 June 2005, 11:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Evz
                        Thanks for the advice everyone - think I'm sold on the idea!

John
                        I've had three 5 series BMs since 1989 and thought they were cheap to run. Chopped 520i estate in for the 2.4 Hilux so I could tow a caravan in the winter (on wet grass - sooper) and now thinking of shifting it for a beemer again. Persuade me and I'll part with it.
                        Head changed last month, 75k miles on clock (or equiv in kilos) 24 to 28 mpg. Undersealed. Cherry red. All working, nothing to do except go. I paid 5.5k March 2004 from an importer.
                        Mo

Comment

Cheers Mo, I may be in touch if things don't work out with the one I'm currently looking at.

Comment

Working...
                          X