Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pully Rattle

Hi all
    I've got quite a rattle from the front of the engine. seems like its coming from the bottom pulley. looking down on the pulley set up , its a double pulley it seems that the two halfs are rattling against each othe, cos I can see them moving. anybody else had this

Ron

The pully is also the harmonic balencer, some times the rubber inbetween the two halfs comes unstuck, you normally need to replace the pully. The other pulleys are bolted to the hubs, have you checked they are not just loose.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony
      I think that is what has happend, the bond must have seperated, cos it moves about 1/8", What happens if you leave it, does it come apart?

Ron

Comment

The trouble with leaving it is the pulley slips on the hub, so the water pump is not getting driven properly, and the trouble with 2.4's and anything not 100% in the cooling system could be expensive..........

And our's squealed like hell as well!!!!
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Tony,
          Thanks for the info, have to sort it. Looks like a pig of a job though

Ron

Comment

Done a search and it looks like i have the same problem as above.
            Is it a big job to get the pully wheels off and change them?

Comment

I'm no mechanic, but I did mine in a couple of hours, the pully is about £110+vat, and you'll need a pulley puller, not the three jaw type, or you'll break something.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

thanks for the quick reply,
                what sort of pulley puller do you need

Comment

I made a puller as my pulley was on solid .I removed the front half of pulley which bolts on , then got a piece of 2" long, 3mm thick angle iron and drilled 2 holes which lined up with 2 of the 4 holes which bolt the front half of pulley on . With the crankshaft pulley bolt loosened 3 or 4 turns I bolted up the angle iron upto the pulley, I used longer bolts so that the threads did not pull out of the pulley . As the bolts tighten the angle iron onto the pulley bolt, I turned each bolt slightly and this drew the pulley off. I had to keep backing off the bolts and undoing the pulley bolt 3 or 4 turns and repeating the operation until pulley fell off .
                  Took 1/2 hour work to make puller and 5 mins to get pulley off .
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks again, i once made a puller like that for an old bike engine.
                    Off work Monday so looks like that’s the first time I can get in the garage to fix it

Comment

I used one of these, easier than making one, and probably cheaper too.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...balance-puller
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronone
                        Hi all
                        I've got quite a rattle from the front of the engine. seems like its coming from the bottom pulley. looking down on the pulley set up , its a double pulley it seems that the two halfs are rattling against each othe, cos I can see them moving. anybody else had this

Ron
                        when i first got my surf it did the same dont get toyota one it take 2 weeks to get here and cost 110 quid plus vat
                        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

It's this:

front crank pulley

And you may need a new cam belt cover; when the pulley rattles about it chews through the cover and may clip the cam belt, so don't drive it if you can help it.

Comment

Working...
                          X