Injector Pump Timing & Turbo Wastegate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector Pump Timing & Turbo Wastegate

Hey, I haven't quite found the answers i am looking for and was hoping someone here would have an idea of what is going on.

Basically, earlier this year i found that the head on my 91' 2.4LTD (LN130) was cracked. I decided to go ahead and do the repairs with a guy i know who is very knowledgeable with vehicles (as every diesel shop in my area has turned it away when i inquire).

We ended up doing the following:
    - replacing cylinder head
    - replacing all gaskets on engine
    - compression test
    - new head bolts
    - new timing belt
    - all new coolant hoses and clamps
    - new radiator
    - replaced a couple of new pullys where needed
    - new direct replacement turbo
    - installed oil catch can
    - replaced glow plug fuse (we shorted mine out at the connector rail by the fuel injectors)

Now prior to this, I had done the following:
    - new injectors
    - new fuel return line
    - new glow plugs
    - new fuel filter housing (as mine had a leak) + fuel filter
    - new brake master cylinder

Here is my issue now. The engine runs very strong and sound the healthiest it ever has. However, i am running extremely rich (a lot of black smoke) and burning oil (i can see this on start up + my oil level goes down faster than expected considering i only have one very small oil leak). When we timed the injector pump we played around with the position. If we moved it too much one way or the other, it would run like crap. But, it seems that where it is set now is not where it should be either.
    Along with this, the wastegate on my turbo opens up around 2500 rpm, i lose boost for a few seconds then the turbo kicks back in for a few seconds.... and the cycle continues. This is not a problem when driving through town. It does become a problem when i am trying to get up to highway speeds or up a hill (as we all know the 2LTE is infamous for lacking power. The turbo is had before was loaded up with washers (about 5-7) so the turbo would hold its boost forever basically. The last problem under the hood i wanted to mention is the hard starting. The glow plugs are brand new, injectors are barely used (after they were replaced the truck sat for a month or so and shortly after i started up on replacing the head), and compression is good. However, the engine will crank for a long period of time unless i glow the plugs multiple times (even in 20+ degree Celsius weather). I will add though, it starts every time. Question now, does the poor fuel timing having anything to do with the turbo issue and hard start issue? And, what are the suggestions to getting past these problems and fixing these things?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Working...
X