Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant and heating

Hi all,

The problem I have is after flushing my LN130 coolant system the engine temp climbs slowly when stationary and engine at idle. In this state the blowers blow cold ish air. If I raise the revs to about 2000rpm the temp drops very quickly to normal and the heaters blow hot if selected. It's as though the flow of coolant isn't 'man enough' at low revs. I am thinking that the level may be low but the expansion bottle is about half full. One thing I have noticed is the filler cap is on the thermostat housing, not the radiator and the outlet from the radiator is higher than the filler cap. When I refilled after flushing I filled the rad by bending the rubber pipe up slightly then filling until the pipe was full then replaced it on the thermostat housing. When filling up using the filler cap, with a coke bottle as a header, it just filled the expansion bottle. When driving the temp stays normal with no problem. Any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    Lea
    Last edited by LeaDale; 27 March 2018, 09:41. Reason: Spelling biff!

Hi,

Well...the 2.4 surf has the cap on the rad as normal. Maybe the previous owner has modified the system. If the top hose is higher than the filler cap, then possibly you are not filling with enough coolant... 'Communicating vessels', from GCSE physics lol. It might have nothing to do with your problem tho'...interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
      Hi,

Well...the 2.4 surf has the cap on the rad as normal. Maybe the previous owner has modified the system. If the top hose is higher than the filler cap, then possibly you are not filling with enough coolant... 'Communicating vessels', from GCSE physics lol. It might have nothing to do with your problem tho'...interesting.
      No it does not have the cap on the rad, the 2.4 is exactly as the op describes it and they are notorious for getting airlocks and requiring burping. Sounds like his filling efforts have had exactly that effect and all the air is now out of the system. Do a search on the forum for burping, op is not the first to have had issues with the 2.4.
      Сви можемо

Comment

Oh ok thanks for the correction , my old 2.4 had a rad with the cap located on the top tank, like the 3rd Gen. Maybe it had been modified/replaced .
        cheers

Comment

Working...
        X