Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing

When would you use soft or hard suspension setting. I always leave on soft but expect to tow a caravan soon and wondered if I should set to hard for less bounce and wondered if this would prevent a rear sagging.
    Any comments please?

Neil

yes it will probably help but check the suspension first to see if it still has the original suspension (look for wires plugged into the top). If there are no wires fitted to the shocks that switch will do naff all
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I recomend HARD setting when towing a caravan as it will help reduce rear end sag.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

I leave mine on hrd al the time. I prefer the ride that way. Too 'wallowey' (is that a word???) on normal.. Is this doing any harm??

What should it be set to for off roading??
        It just does, OK?

Comment

IMHO, if you need the hard setting for towing the rear springs might need replacing/upgrading. Provided I get the noseweight right I don't suffer like I did with the old springs. The noseweight I aim for is a compromise between that recommended in the caravan handbook and that recommended for the Surf. Once you get it right it's too easy to keep up with the normal flow of traffic, especially on the motorway, so keep half an eye on the speedo.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Phil
            I tow a 23ft caravan and have always wondered what the noseweight should be as i have no info with the van and have never seen what it shouldbe on the surf.I usually tow at about 60kg, would this be anywhere near right???
            If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
            I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smurf
              Phil
              I tow a 23ft caravan and have always wondered what the noseweight should be as i have no info with the van and have never seen what it shouldbe on the surf.I usually tow at about 60kg, would this be anywhere near right???
              As you have a twin axle as i do, i keep the weight over the axles. Remember nose weight includes your gas bottles & anything else you keep in the front lockers.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Foxhill
                When would you use soft or hard suspension setting. I always leave on soft but expect to tow a caravan soon and wondered if I should set to hard for less bounce and wondered if this would prevent a rear sagging.
                Any comments please?

Neil
                Using the hard setting on the shocks will reduce the bounce but won't prevent the springs from sagging. If the sagging is a problem try the 20% uprated springs from Milners. They are £40 + vat + p&p.
                I tow a double horse trailer and having the shocks on the hard setting helps reduce the pitching.
                Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  As you have a twin axle as i do, i keep the weight over the axles. Remember nose weight includes your gas bottles & anything else you keep in the front lockers.
                  was towing this the other day awning on the axles and towed spot on
                  Attached Files
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                  X