Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long range fuel tanks

Gentlefolk,

I am considering a long range fuel tank.

There are many options out there for HiLux's and Landcruiser's, and they are mainly two options:

1) a larger main tank.... anything upto 130 Litres or there abouts...

2) and auxiliary tank... anything upto 170 Litres in addition to the original tank and you have to remove the under slung spare.

Question is... there is very little mention of 4Runner's or Surf's... in particular 2nd Gen Surf's...

So there are quite a few for '90 - '98 HiLux pickups with leaf spring rears (three models from LongRanger)...

What I am trying to find out is which model Pickup shares the same fuel tank as the 2nd Gen Surf....

Hope that has got you thinking... I really would like to solve this...

Many thanks... AndyLala

The auxillary tank I've got only holds 20L.

On the plus side it is removable, has it's own pouring spout and is painted a dark military green!

Has come in usefull once in the wilds of Wales.

Nevillef

;
    Attached Files
    Last edited by laser_jock99; 10 March 2005, 23:14.

Comment

Cant answer directly, but I think there was a guy on the Aussie site that had added a long range tank with the write up on how he'd done it
      Gaz

Comment

Bwahahahaha -

I've got a 65ltr fuel tank + 2 x 50 LPG tanks

the only way to do it is to find something which will fit under at the back or possibly in fron of the exsisting fuel tank (I am assuming it is the same position as the V6)
        NO WORRIES!
        Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
          Gentlefolk,

I am considering a long range fuel tank.

There are many options out there for HiLux's and Landcruiser's, and they are mainly two options:

1) a larger main tank.... anything upto 130 Litres or there abouts...

2) and auxiliary tank... anything upto 170 Litres in addition to the original tank and you have to remove the under slung spare.

Question is... there is very little mention of 4Runner's or Surf's... in particular 2nd Gen Surf's...

So there are quite a few for '90 - '98 HiLux pickups with leaf spring rears (three models from LongRanger)...

What I am trying to find out is which model Pickup shares the same fuel tank as the 2nd Gen Surf....

Hope that has got you thinking... I really would like to solve this...

Many thanks... AndyLala
          Have a look at the below link. I have been considering a veg oil conversion using one of the underfloor tanks from these people as my spare wheel is on the back. Problem I am trying to work out is how to fill it. The same tanks would appear ideal as an additional tank but working out how to pipe the two tanks together or a pump system to pump fuel from the additional tank to the main one would need a bit of thought.

http://www.dieselveg.com/fuel_tanks.htm

Also found info on additional tank at the URL below (Aussie Site) which seems to solve the probs if available in UK

http://www.oot4wd.com.au/AuxiliaryTanks.html

TA37S - TOYOTA 4-RUNNER 1989 ON
          Model Fitment....................... ...........
          All 4-Runners 1989 on (incl. surf)
          Capacity...................... .....................
          60 litres
          Location...................... .....................
          Under rear of vehicle, between chassis rails, above spare tyre
          Filler Location...................... ............
          Original filler used with "Y" section (supplied in kit)
          Modifications to Exhaust.................
          Nil
          Fuel Transfer...................... ..............
          Automatic gravity feed to original tank
          Fitting Time.......................... ............
          3 hours (approx)
          Shipping Weight........................ ......
          30kg (approx)
          Shipping Dimensions.................... ...
          1250mm x 520mm x 680mm (approx)

Other Modifications / Comments.....

During acending and decending some fuel will transfer between tanks, Main tank stays full until Aux. is used, Larger tank available, see TA37bp or TA37bs
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Have a look at http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/body.htm There are three different write ups on extra tanks of varying capacities.
            Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Agreed, to all the above, having already seen the aus mentions....

These are all auxiliary tanks... I was trying to find one to replace the existing...

oh, well keep searching

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                Agreed, to all the above, having already seen the aus mentions....

These are all auxiliary tanks... I was trying to find one to replace the existing...

oh, well keep searching
                What need is a 'TARDIS TANK' - one which ocupies the same space but holds twice as much fuel! The other option is to buy a Land Cruiser VX with a 120L tank (£100 fill up!!). Where are you off to the Sahara?

Nevillef

Comment

Few more bits to do yet...

On the tank thing... which model HiLux pickup shares the same fuel tank...?

couple of nice trips to Morrocco, atlas mountains and a taste of the Western Erg... Also some trips to Tunisia which look quite interesting...

Thought long and hard about the London-to-Dakar, and the Plymouth-to-Dakar...

andyL

Comment

Working...
                  X