2 buy or not 2 buy that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 buy or not 2 buy that is the question

I'm thinking about getting myself a surf but after reading about blown head gaskets and new heads i'm having second thoughts. At the moment i have a freelander and can't wait to get rid, as it's blown head gasket twice in 10k and don't want to buy another heap of s**t. Any feedback on what to look for and what to buy or not buy would be helpfull.

S
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

E
      Derek :
      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
      [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

A
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

R
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

C
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

H

Hope i spelt that right!
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Buy a surf m8 - and follow Delboys directions - more than enough on here if you have a look around.
                Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by greenun
                  I'm thinking about getting myself a surf but after reading about blown head gaskets and new heads i'm having second thoughts. At the moment i have a freelander and can't wait to get rid, as it's blown head gasket twice in 10k and don't want to buy another heap of s**t. Any feedback on what to look for and what to buy or not buy would be helpfull.
                  The head problems you refer to concern only approx 20% of 2.4 Surfs. If you check when looking around that they have had the cylinder head replaced and have the paperwork to confirm it then there shouldn't be any more problems. The early heads were found to be prone to cracking if overheated - the replacement heads cured this.
                  If you are still doubtful then look for a 3lt they have never suffered from this problem as the engine is totally different. Apart from the above the Surf is probably one of the most reliable 4 x 4's, certainly one of the most rugged and capable. I checked most other 4 x 4's before buying a Surf, including Discovery's and Shogun/Pajero's and have no regrets - it has been totally reliable.
                  Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Hi
                    If you currently have a freelander then i would assume that you have a budget that will buy a 3litre surf in which case you will not have the cracked head problem. If a 2.4 is what you want just look for one that has proof of new head having been fitted, that way you know you shouldnt have any problems. I think a 3.0 would be available from around £5500ish. I have replaced the head on my 2.4 and it has been 100% reliable since, i would only get rid of it to buy a later model 3litre, they really are fantastic cars, i have owned somewhere in the region of 35 cars in the 13 years i have been driving and as an all round tough and practical vehicle it has to be the best i have had. I do have a bike for when i need to go fast as unfortunately surfs dont do that(you probably already knew that).
                    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
                    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

With the money from (most) second hand Freeloaders you ought to have enough free change for maybe a MK3 3.0L Surf. I've driven Freeloaders and have to say that a MK3 Surf (or a good Mk2 (up to 1995) 3.0L) is in a different league.

If it all worried about heads cracking etc. (and please bear in mind that most don't) then go the 3.0L route, you won't regret it!

Nevillef

Comment

My 2.4 is for sale, currently in the for sale section for £3,999, new head - I fitted it myself, lots of work been done on it and it's in really nice condition.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X