help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed

i hope someone can help. can anyone explain why my windows would steam up as i am driving along. the heater is on a warm or hot setting and no i am not doing anything with my wife.

Had this on Wifes Punto, heater matrix gone leaking rather hot water into car.
    Matrix blown by head gasket failure but we don't talk about that on here.
    Either way got to be hot moisture from somewhere or cold water being warmed.
    have you been swimming in it?

Good Luck.

Steve
    Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

The only time i went into water was when we had the floods on the river tyne but i dont think any water got in.When you said the heater matrix blew was this through a cracked head ?

Comment

Originally posted by mattys surf
        The only time i went into water was when we had the floods on the river tyne but i dont think any water got in.When you said the heater matrix blew was this through a cracked head ?
        Normally the heater maxtrix will fail allowing a loss of water and overheating of the head causing head gasket or head failure .
        Usual heater matrix failure as you have described , steamed up screen . If there is a smell of curry or a sweet sickly smell inside the car , that also indicates the matrix might have a leak (or you dropped your takeaway!). You may or may not get damp carpets , it depends how big a leak the matrix has .

Rick
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I sometimes get a smell like hot radiator water and then the windows steam up is this what you meant by the sweet smell.If this is the heater matrix are they easy to fix.

Comment

I sometimes get a smell like hot radiator water and then the windows steam up is this what you meant by the sweet smell.If this is the heater matrix are they easy to fix.
            Sounds like the symptoms . I have not changed a Surf matrix as I do not own a Surf , but it will be a complete dash out job i believe . Try a search as I think it has been detailed before .

Rick
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

copied from another thread......... quick fix for you undr the dash in the drivers footwell on the left there is some white arms that control the flow of air they can be moved by hand it is a little fiddly at first but they dont need loads of force they will move have you blower running when you do and each time they move check to see where the air flows from i know this as my heater matrix sprang a leak and when i changed it i left off the relevant cable that pulls on these by accident and only noticed when i had rebuilt it so now i just have it set to screen and it works fine .

try a search for windscreen
              hope this helps
              ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

thanks for the help. i am going to take the dash out and have a look.if it is the matrix canthis be taken out and still use the car if i can bypass it while i get it repaired.

Comment

can anyone tell me if this is where the heating matrix is hidden behind. when i loosened the bottom bolt there was a brown liquid leaking from it. This is in the passenger footwell.
                  Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the help. i am going to take the dash out and have a look.if it is the matrix canthis be taken out and still use the car if i can bypass it while i get it repaired.

Yes
                    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

can anyone tell me if this is where the heating matrix is hidden behind. when i loosened the bottom bolt there was a brown liquid leaking from it. This is in the passenger footwell.
                      I think the first box is for the air con the next one along (more central) is the heater matrix.

Good luck

Comment

sorry but never removed one before,when i have removed the plastic cover will there be a radiator type thing behind it with hoses attached . then will this unbolt from the bulkhead.Thought i had better ask just incases i do somthing wrong as i cannot be off the road for long as i work twilight shift a no buses at 3 in the morning.

Comment

sorry but never removed one before,when i have removed the plastic cover will there be a radiator type thing behind it with hoses attached . then will this unbolt from the bulkhead.Thought i had better ask just incases i do somthing wrong as i cannot be off the road for long as i work twilight shift a no buses at 3 in the morning.

The hoses are atached to it through the bulkhead. If you look under the bonet you will see 2 hoses going into the car just behind and above the engine. If you would like a bit more info call me on 07740 337153.

Comment

Working...
                          X