Nasty clattering noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty clattering noise

Anybody come across this before? I have a 1991 2.4td auto, which had a brand new head (ouch!) last summer. Below around 2500rpm, all is normal. Above 2500rpm (70mph or thereabouts with the overdrive on), there's a clattering noise - particularly on deceleration. Oil pressure, temperature and oil consumption are all fine. The noise just appeared one day and hasn't become worse. A trusted mechanic has removed the rocker cover to check possible causes - the noise decreases with the rocker cover off, but it may simply be harder to hear. There's no wear on the cam lobes. He can't find anything wrong without removing the head, but is sure it's a top of engine noise, not an end going. He thinks it may be piston slap, but I would have thought that piston slap would disappear as the engine warmed up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance - Rod

Oops, posted twice.
    Last edited by rich; 1 November 2003, 18:27.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Has it always clattered since the head was done or has it only just started?

Guessing its the latter. Not an easy one this - can you describe the clatter - random / engine speed / type of noise (tinny, etc)

R.

Just a thought - might be worth doing an engine oil flush, one of the oil ways maybe blocked.
      Last edited by rich; 1 November 2003, 18:57.
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

some members have reported a loose air filter rattling around in the housing at certain rpm's, try a short test run with no filter (make sure air box is clear as a foreign object sucked through can destroy a turbo)
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Goodbye clatter, hello new motor

Picked up Surf from garage yesterday morning. By the time I got home (4 miles) the occasional nasty clatter had turned into a tumble drier full of spanners - limped home on 3 cylinders, oil pressure in the basement and heading south, the works. Called the AA who said, in effect "That's broken. You want to get that fixed." So then I called Nippon Spares in E15, who are going to replace the motor for £1500 all up and guarantee the new one for 3 months. They were the only rebuilder in Exchange and Mart who queried 2L or 2LTE when I rang, knew the model and checked stock before promising a solution. Perhaps not the cheapest option, but I can't afford to have the thing off the road, and they can do it all in 3 days. Please forgive long posts, and thanks for your help.

Comment

new lump

couldnt u have a 3ltr chucked in it m8
            black n tan
            black n tan
            yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

I might be wrong but your description of the noise sounds like a broken piston. If it is I dont think £1500 is going to cover it

Comment

Slydog, does the 3 litre engine mate to the auto box in my 2.4 litre Surf? And are all the other ancilliaries the same (turbo etc)? I've not heard so many bad overheating stories about the 3 litre, so it may be a good idea.

And yes, Elvz, I think you're right - it's a broken piston. Were I to have the engine rebuilt, £1500 wouldn't go very far. But I'm paying with a credit card for a supposedly low mileage replacement, and the motor has a 3 month warranty, so I'm covered both ways if it all goes pear-shaped.
                (Wah, wah, wah - cartoon sound of things going pear-shaped in a BIG way...)

Comment

Originally posted by rodh
                  Slydog, does the 3 litre engine mate to the auto box in my 2.4 litre Surf? And are all the other ancilliaries the same (turbo etc)? I've not heard so many bad overheating stories about the 3 litre, so it may be a good idea.

And yes, Elvz, I think you're right - it's a broken piston. Were I to have the engine rebuilt, £1500 wouldn't go very far. But I'm paying with a credit card for a supposedly low mileage replacement, and the motor has a 3 month warranty, so I'm covered both ways if it all goes pear-shaped.
                  (Wah, wah, wah - cartoon sound of things going pear-shaped in a BIG way...)
                  Pretty sure that it should, I think the box is the same in both. However I think you will find a lot of differences in the wiring and also the engine mounts are in a different position. You will probably find that replacing a 2LTE with a 1KZTE will not be the easy job it first seems - but then again it should be possible. The best way however would be to get the donor car complete or at least everything out of the engine bay. You will need the complete induction system amongst other things.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Andy. Guess I'll be sticking with the 2.4, then.

Comment

Working...
                    X