Problems Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Starting

I have a 93 2.4 Surf. I think that the batteries have past their usefull life.
    In the morning when I start the engine, wait for plug light to go out, then start engine, all dash lights dim and engine turns slowly but starts. For the rest of the day the engine starts fine, no problem. Also from time to time when using the rear window without the engine on it winds up very slowly and sometimes stops, engine on works fine. Initial inspection shows that both the batteries look like the original jap ones.

If its possible I am going to check the output of the alternator to rule that out, but as the engine works fine all day I hopefully can assume that everything is working correctly and the problem lies in the batteries not holding charge.

What does everyone think? and where is a good place to get a new set from in the Southampton area?

Thanks

Originally posted by Mike_Gordon
    I have a 93 2.4 Surf. I think that the batteries have past their usefull life.
    In the morning when I start the engine, wait for plug light to go out, then start engine, all dash lights dim and engine turns slowly but starts. For the rest of the day the engine starts fine, no problem. Also from time to time when using the rear window without the engine on it winds up very slowly and sometimes stops, engine on works fine. Initial inspection shows that both the batteries look like the original jap ones.

If its possible I am going to check the output of the alternator to rule that out, but as the engine works fine all day I hopefully can assume that everything is working correctly and the problem lies in the batteries not holding charge.

What does everyone think? and where is a good place to get a new set from in the Southampton area?

Thanks
    Get the batteries "load tested"
    sounds like they are on the way out
    NO WORRIES!
    Rusty

Comment

Just suffered exact same thing.... Very sluggish starting when it got a bit cold in the mornings.... topped up fluids, OK for a while but started being lumpy again. Got them both replaced. Guy at shop said they were originals so not done bad for 12 years......
      Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Just replaced them

OK so took the bull by the horns and got a couple of new batteries, without testing the old ones. Slightly more than I thought in cost (£181 the pair delivered to work). Just swopped them over at lunch time and WOW what a difference. The drive is so much smoother, and more powerfull. Hopefully this will also be reflected in fuel economy!

Thanks All.

Mike

Comment

Do a check done on your alternator.

Those new batteries will be great for a while, but if the alternator isn't delivering...

andyL

Comment

Working...
          X