This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common misconception about 3rd Gen 4wd options

Just some advice if you're buying a 3rd gen Surf, and something that not many people are aware of:

Not all 3rd gen Surfs have the "Multi-mode" 4wd option. This facility allows you to unlock the centre diff so that you can drive your Surf in 4wd on dry tarmac. Permanent 4wd, in other words. If yours doesn't have it, you should only use your 4wd when you can guarantee that the tyres can slip on the surface they're on, ie. snow. An explanation why is here:

http://www.oncourse4wd.com/4wd/4wd_axle_windup.asp

And here: http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

(Thanks to Slobodan for those links)

My previous 3rd gen only had "Normal mode", not "Multi-mode". The 4wd symbol on my dash was at the bottom right (not top centre, as the multi-mode versions are). The Normal Mode symbol doesn't have the circle in the middle of it which represents the centre diff, as the multi-mode ones do.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Koi; 14 May 2013, 06:07.

I didn't know this but thought they were all full time 4WD - so thanks.

Was there any period or model level that did or didn't have it or was it just an option available across the board?

Comment

I don't know. I just know my '97 (R plate) had it. Apparently, it was only an optional extra (the log book suggests, anyway). It just turns out that 99% of Surfs ended up having that option fitted, chosen by the original buyer, I assume, hence the common misconception. Not many about.

Comment

My one has multimode. So in easy terms if I have to explain to the wife when I'm away working? What does it mean?

Last edited by stevcolx; 29 June 2014, 14:22.
        Surf's up dude!

Comment

Working...
        X