Bad transmission issue (manual)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad transmission issue (manual)

Hi guys, I drive a 1996 Surf, 3.0 that's been converted to a manual before I bought it.

So I bought this to do an overland trip from the UK to Asia, and it would seem the Swiss Alps were more than it could handle. The transmission started making a rattling noise between idle and 1500 rpm in all gears and in neutral, but silent with the clutch pressed in. Didn't sound good but after doing a little forum reading the thrust bearing seemed to be the diagnosis, and I read you could go a few k's before changing, so I decided to press on to an Italian beach and sort it out in the sun :-D

Fast forward to today and I'm sitting in ####ing Empoli (where?). The rattling has gone away and been replaced by the sound of a bearing spinning up when I let out the clutch, and a non moving Surf. Well it moves a little, a small amount of power when you slightly let the clutch out, and then nothing.

I'm looking through the forums but haven't been able to find this specific symptom, although the DMF seems like a possible problem. Any ideas?
Working...
X