Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my new to me '98 KZN185W

Hello from Minnesota,

I recently purchased a '98 KZN185W from a guy in Minneapolis who imports and sells RHD vehicles. Vehicle is in very good condition overall. Minimal rust, engine runs beautifully, all electronics work, etc. I did install a new condenser for the AC, replace the v belt for the AC compressor, and replace a warped brake rotor. All relatively minor things that I was able to do myself with minimal stress. Today though I did have my first major(?) issue crop up.

I was pulling a small boat and trailer (<700kg total) out of the water at a public boat launch and shifted the car into H4 (with unlocked difs) for the first time since I've had it. All fine, got the boat out no issue, but I did notice that the 4wd indicator lights (all fopur green tires and the orange dif light) were blinking. When I was starting the drive back to town and went to put it back into H2 the lights continued blinking. Tried pushing the 4wd button on the side of the J shifter once or twice and the lights would turn off momentarily before continuing to blink. Eventually decided to push the button into 4wd and drove it home normally (about 20 minute drive), albeit with the lights still blinking.

Arrived home and took the trailer off. I tried putting the vehicle in H4[SIZE=10px]L [/SIZE]and L4Lwith the car running and in neutral. Heard the normal clunk I'm used to when shifting between the two in my other car and it seemed to drive fine in both modes. I put it back in 4H and again tried pressing the 4WD button to put it in 2H and this time got a loud grinding noise. Now when I attempt to drive in 2H the engine will rev but the car does not move (similar to revving in neutral) and I think I can hear the noise of something slipping slightly. The car still shifts into and drives normally in all modes except 2H.

My first suspect is something with the transfer case and/or difs but beyond that I am pretty stuck. I checked the oil in the tcase and both difs it was full and new in all of them and I didn't spot any glitter. Would love some advice on next steps to take for diagnosing/fixing the issue. I have never worked on a transfer case before and am new to Toyotas generally so everything you have to offer is appreciated!
    Last edited by CanoeMan; 24 August 2024, 19:08.
Working...
X