Help with VSV intake restrictor control 3.0 1994 turbo diesel surf 4WD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with VSV intake restrictor control 3.0 1994 turbo diesel surf 4WD

Hello, I live in San Diego California USA,, bought a new- to- me Surf, 1994 Hilux 3.0 diesel, started smoking excessively just off idle then through midrange throttle, does fine at idle and freeway speeds. Everything else seems to be great.

For base line info,, it is all working properly with good compression, smooth idle good power, head and all related stuff is new, timing belt, themostat, injectors were serviced, cleaned and installed with extreme care against debris, filters all new- good, Vacume pump working good all the vacume lines are new and hooked up properly, etc

I have identified that one of the VSV Intake Constrictor valves is not working, Wiring is good, connections are good.

Can some one give me specifics please on:

1.) Are they both of the VSV's exactly the same part # do they do the same thing, (just on different circuits)?
    2). I would think the computer is telling them to open at different times, correct?
    3.) What is the voltage that is needed to operate them? ,, I get about 8 volts just above idle on the one that is working correctly.
    Following the diagnosis that I found on line, the one working properly does not pull vacume at idle, then just above idle it pulls vacume. The #1 VSV does not work in the same manner, even though it works when I bench test it and give it 12 volts it opens and closes. But when it is in the car it will not open like it should, just above idle.
    4.) What is the correct part number for the VSV Intake Constrictor Valve for this engine?
    5.) Who will sell it to me and ship it to the USA? if I cannot find it here,,,,,it is a 1994 turbo Diesel 4WD Automatic.

Kinda stuck I hope I gave enough information for a expert to answer here on this forum

6.) Here in the USA I have not found a good place to source parts and information, any ideas?

So to make it work "good" for now,,, I put both of them on the same vacume circuit,,, so I Tee-ed one vacume line to the other vacume line (on the side that opens from a signal from the computer). and it works but I believe this is not the right way to fix it and that is why I am asking all these questions?

7.) Is there a good source on the internet for diagnostics for information on how this part of the sytem works?

Thanks in advance for the help these are great little trucks!
    Attached Files

First up the two VSVs will probably be different part numbers because of the way they are keyed for the different connectors. That's so the wrong one can't be fitted to the incorrect VSV..

Sometimes you can find a number on the VSV, and with this I may be able to assist with a full part number. Have a look and get back to me. Also post a couple of pics of the location of the two VSVs you mention and a pic or three of the VSV you suspect is faulty, so I can see the way it is keyed.
    Last edited by NiftyNev; 24 July 2022, 10:45.

Comment

Guessing here at the moment but could the VSV that you say is not working, be the one that closes the butterfly on engine shutdown. as is the case for the 2.4Ltr models?

Comment

Do you have this?

[url]https://pdfcoffee.com/download/toyota-1kz-te-turbo-diesel-service-manual-pdf-pdf-free.html[/url]

Comment

Another tip I can give you is to check all vacuum hoses for blockage. Sometimes ball bearings are used to block them by people that think this is the right thing to do such as done on the EGR system sometimes.

Comment

To find part numbers, I use [URL]http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/cartypelist.php?maker=toyota&type=671160[/URL], very handy. Once you've got a part number, you can either get a price and order from [URL]https://www.amayama.com/en[/URL], or see how friendly your local dealer's parts counter is :-)
            https://galooph.com

Comment

Working...
            X