Kz te head or gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kz te head or gasket

Hi, new here, how is everyone? I have a kz te but it’s in a 1996 Prado not surf…

Read a few threads here about white smoke at start up and mine is doing the same. Hoping to get some pointer here.

Mine drives normal once started, and no oil in water or water in oil, also no bubbling of coolant in reservoir. But I have slow coolant loose. In the last winter, top up about 300ml every 2-3 months, not much. However I did a coolant pressure test at cold engine and it is showing slow leak. So start up her after the test and a white puff of smoke. Pretty certain this is head or gasket!!

any other thoughts? Not using oil and never overheat.

get a sniff test done you can get them off ebay

Comment

Cheers, done the sniff test, cold engine for few mins, colour didn’t change.

I can’t do it with warm engine right? The coolant will be gushing out of the radiator before I can put the sniff thing on

Comment

Do the test after a drive using expansion tank and see what happens.

Comment

Did the sniff test at expansion tank after a 10mins drive. Didn’t change colour but might be a bit inconclusive as the tank is sucking the air inward or downward from the test kit, not blowing or expanding into the colour liquid.

my dilemma is to take the head off or not? And do I expect head gasket failure? Or crack head? Crack head obviously a lot more costly. Just to be prepared.

no smoke at start car when warm means not cracked head? Seems like the coolant only enters cylinder when engine is going through complete coil down, like overnight.

Thanks

Comment

*cool down

Comment

So for 2 days, there was no smoke at cold start in the morning. Then this morning white smoke and rough is back again, and again after left for a whole day until the evening and started the smoke is back. All the smoke clears within a few seconds. How does sweet smoke from coolant smells like?? I just smelled diesel from the smoke so far.

I am baffled. But still losing a bit of coolant, maybe less than 1cm in the expansion tank over last week.

So for 1KZ, does it definitely need to have one of the followings and white smoke to have a cracked head/blown gasket?

1. Bubble/pressure in expansion tank
              2. coolant in oil, milky
              3. oil in coolant
              4. Overheating

or just white smoke at cold start is sufficient to warrant it?

Thanks

Comment

So it’s about 0 degree this morning, I fired her up with radiator cap off, she started within 2-3 seconds. This time no white puff of smoke. No bubbles from the radiator coolant, but the top surface of the coolant is not still. It is a bit ‘jumpy’. Not sure if this is just vibration from the engine. I would describe it as a 1cm small fountain… is this Normal?

Can anyone with a 1kz do me a favour at your next cold start? Radiator cap off and see if the coolant is jumpy or completely still?

thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                X