Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Woe's

Hi all,
    Recently purchased a used 93 Surf (first car ever).
    The only maintenance I have been able to perform is the standard oil, tyre and water/coolant change

Need some help troubleshooting my radiator. I suspect that:[LIST][*]there might be a leak somewhere AND/OR[*]the pump is not working.[/LIST]The engine tends to heat up and I find that the water in the radiator is all but gone while the water in the tank remains.

Thanks,

Could be a cracked head (unfortunately). If you're getting water filling up in the expansion tank, and leaving the radiator.

You can get cracked head testers. Something like this:-
    [url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMBUSTION-LEAK-KIT-PETROL-DIESEL/dp/B018PM3ZFQ[/url]
    Thanks
    Rob Watson (forum owner and admin)

Comment

Hi Rob,
      Thanks for the reply. I always though the expansion tank fed water INTO the radiator and hence have always kept it full :banghead:

When you say head, is that the engine head or the head gasket?

Also forgot to mention that when the engine overheats, steam is generated and is funneled out into the expansion tank.

Comment

Yeah, I used to think that too. Some cars I think you fill the tank rather than the rad, but with these surfs you must fill the radiator.

It could be either the cylinder head, or the head gasket. The easiest way to find out would be to use that tester I referenced. If your car fails the test, then you'll need to take the cylinder head off and have it pressure tested. A local engine testing shop should be able to do that for you.
        Thanks

Comment

If you need someone to replace the cylinder head, message Tony at [url]www.4x4toys.co.uk[/url]. It won't be cheap though; replacement parts can easily run to £900, plus labour.
          Thanks

Comment

Thanks. I had someone more experienced remove the head and found a lot of residue on the gasket head. He has advised to replace the gasket head as well as the valves, then use a compressor to blow out whatever else is still in the head cylinder.

I also forgot to mention that my surf struggles when climbing hills.
            Couple this with the overheating, does it indicate an issue with the engine? Or is it something that a gaset change should sort out.

Thanks again.

Comment

I'd probably recommend taking it to Tony who is a surf expert.... [url]www.4x4toys.co.uk[/url]
              Thanks

Comment

Apologies, no offence to Tony, I meant more experienced than myself.
                I am sure Tony is an expert but unfortunately I am outside of the UK.

Comment

Working...
                X