Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 275x75x16 problems?

Hi All,

I've used the search(!) and read a few posts about upgrading from 275x75x15 to 275x75x16s which is what I'm considering doing for aesthetic purposes . Common comments seem to be that they might scrub the mudflap bolts and or the front arch slightly - mine has the wider arches but no lift. I haven't seen any follow ups saying whether members have actually experienced any major problems after doing it though. I'm interested in whether this upgrade will seriously hamper off-road ability and if anyone has had any serious problems after doing it.

I'm used to this sort of thing having run slammed hot hatches on 18s etc. but this is our workhorse for towing the rally car and I need it to remain functional but can handle a slight turning circle loss. Any 'I've done it and...' would be great.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Hi m8,

Well.... i have done it and had no problems at all . My surf is just a standard narrow body (no wide wheel arches), and I upgraded from 215/15's to 265/75/16's without any problem. I have still got full turning lock, I can tow the horse trailer, and go anywhere without anything touching/rubbing. As long as the offset of the wheels is correct it should be fine.

It looks great once done, tyres are a bit more pricey, but it's worth it for the look.
    Jez

Comment

Great stuff - cheers, that's what I wanted to hear! It's just not 'pimp' enough on the standard wheels but I can't lose the practicality so this seems like the best option! My mates reckon I should be running imported 18inch Chromies - bling, bling!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
        Great stuff - cheers, that's what I wanted to hear! It's just not 'pimp' enough on the standard wheels but I can't lose the practicality so this seems like the best option! My mates reckon I should be running imported 18inch Chromies - bling, bling!
        Only 18's!!!
        lol
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Got the wheels changed over today - well happy, completely changes the look of the Surf and no scrubbage/problems. Tyres are noisier though, but was planning on upgrading the stereo anyway!

He he, my neighbours just asked who parked Big Foot in the lane!!!
          Off Roading Rules!! When's the next meet??

[IMG

Comment

Originally posted by LottieS16
            Got the wheels changed over today - well happy, completely changes the look of the Surf and no scrubbage/problems. Tyres are noisier though, but was planning on upgrading the stereo anyway!

He he, my neighbours just asked who parked Big Foot in the lane!!!
            Another "whoops, forgot to log off" post - me and Lottie use the same PC and always forget to log off so post under each others names all the time!

Comment

Before and afters

Comment

looks good but now you have done that you need to change the rear springs to cure the sag in the back end , it also improves the towing too. all for only £40 from milners
                so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

do you reckon it's sagging then? The first pic looks bad cos the other wheels are in the back and they are really heavy, but the truck normally looks level - I've seen a lot of posts on here about saggy rear ends but thought I'd got away with it...

Comment

I have just done my rear springs and like you thought they were not too bad, but after measuring the clearance at the wheel arch befor and after I take it back.
                    Befor 97mm
                    After 145mm

I did take piccy's but havnt yet uploaded them to the puter. I shall do so tomorrow.

Fish
                    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
                      do you reckon it's sagging then? The first pic looks bad cos the other wheels are in the back and they are really heavy, but the truck normally looks level - I've seen a lot of posts on here about saggy rear ends but thought I'd got away with it...

Yep looks worse in the second photo. it might be due to slope but there again?Its nott till you see one without the sag that you realise how bad it is.

145 at the rear is what i have got too.
                      so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Working...
                      X