Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder Envy

Gentlefolk,

I have had a new rad made (4 core, shorter trans cooler, set 8mm forward of centre) and it is spot on... except that the lower tank is too tight on the frame member that runs across the front of the vehicle.

I want to trim out about 6 or 7mm upto the internal frame brace, so even if the frame flex's a little, it won't touch the new rad.

Question is what is the best way of doing this... I am thinking about a nice small 3" grinder... nice tidy cut, smooth over the internal weld, some POR15 and everything is good. Anyone got any other sensible suggestions?

andyL

less trauma

could you get a nibbler to it? much more subtle...
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I got a 4.5" angle grinder from No Frills DIY for £8.99. It came with a 6 month warrenty and a spare set of motor brushes. I have absolutely abused it. I must have got through 20 cutting discs and one grinding disc. I have cut scaffolding poles, 1/4" wall thickness tube and the chassis on the Zook and loads of sheet steel. If it packs up 2morrow I will have had my monies worth. It is made by Black Spur.

A satisfied customer
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Far be it from me to go against any grinder action, could you not put some spacers between the rad and the panel to give you the extra space you need?

If not, get the grinder out. If space is tight, you need a die grinder type thing.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I would love to put some spacers in... but with the Kenlowe fan in there, it is real tight against the water pump/viscous fan mount (about 5mm).

If I can get the lower tank in closer, and shave down the viscous fan mount on the new water pump... then there is a little room for manouver, ie for the engine to wriggle about.

A nibbler would be nice, but that would only get so close to the inner brace inside that 'u' section frame member. A grinder will get the 'u' section perpendicular to the inner brace. ie. as close as I dare without sacrificing any rigidity in that cross member.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I won't be able to continue this until saturday so anymore suggestions gratefully received.

andyL

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            I got a 4.5" angle grinder from No Frills DIY for £8.99. It came with a 6 month warrenty and a spare set of motor brushes. I have absolutely abused it. I must have got through 20 cutting discs and one grinding disc. I have cut scaffolding poles, 1/4" wall thickness tube and the chassis on the Zook and loads of sheet steel. If it packs up 2morrow I will have had my monies worth. It is made by Black Spur.

A satisfied customer
            you use different discs for different jobs??
            no wonder it lasts well!!

bet you don't leave it out in the rain either!... pansy!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man

Those multi-purpose discs are great arn't they

If you don't leave it out in the rain, how's it ever gonna get clean?
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man

Even better than that. I was using it in the rain. And the jigsaw.........and the welder. I'm not black and crispy yet!!!!
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Those multi-purpose discs are great arn't they

If you don't leave it out in the rain, how's it ever gonna get clean?
                  but always wear goggles to keep your neck warm!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                  X