Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Key Required

Hi All
    Anyone had the misfortune like me to lose a set of keys to the SURF ?
    Mine is the black key with the chip in the top. Toyota in Carlisle want £115 + VAT for a new one, plus i have to drive there from Dumfries for them to set it up ? have managed to source the key fob with the 2 buttons form a firm in Manchester for £50, just wondered if i can get a key from anywhere else.
    Cheers
    3RD GEN 3.0TD 1996 SSR-X BLUE OVER SILVER

Whats the deal with the chip in the key??? I just got a 3rd Gen and am looking at getting another key, is thee any specific sort I need???

Comment

just got a call from Toyota, the key has a small chip in the black plastic section of the key that works in relation somehow with the ignition !!!
      havin loads of trouble trying to source one as low and behold the car is an import ( you would think they come from mars the way he was speaking ).
      might be a chance of getting a blank and going to the local key cutters to see if they can cut it and see wot happens ( i wont hold my breath )
      will post a follow up and let u no wot happens
      craig

Comment

Got 3 cut for under £14.00 at that little shop at the midsteeple in Dumfries, Craig.
        Powered by ????

Comment

Keys

I think Toyota are having you on. I have a 1997 3rd Gen and I have the key with the two buttons on it for working the central locking. I also have another key that I bought as a blank from a Toyota main dealer, without the buttons, for £4.50. I got this cut at a local locksmiths for a couple of quid. It works fine in the ignition, but obviously you have to unlock the driver's door manually, but this activates the central locking on all the other doors. All you lose is the remote facility.
          I have even had my "buttoned" key apart and can see no evidence of chips either in the key fob or linked into the ignition.
          Keith

Comment

cheers robd, they r my first point of call 2morrow

s2-wolf, my thoughs are the same but i just wasnt sure

i dont use the key at all apart from the ignition, i have the plastic 2 button fob from cobra alarms for the doors etc - have sourced a new one but need to programm it ( got a feeling it will b a !!!!!! nightmare ) - anybody done that b4 ?

craig

Comment

Key Update

robd - got a key today in Dumfries like you said - £5.00 ( i nearly fainted ) Toyota Carlisle can poke the £115 in their eye cant they !!!!!

have ordered 2 more to be cut, just plain toyo keys.
              i need to get my head round programming the new alarm fob - any ideas will be appreciated

craig

Comment

Normally the keys with the chip in are the master key used sometimes for programming the key fob. Had one like this on my wife's Scorpio (actually was a red key where all the others were black). The chip enables you to put the remote locking into program mode (insert the key and press a couple of buttons, remove key, put normal one in, turn on the ignition, program the key fob by various pressing of buttons with the ignition on, remove the key, put in the master, press a couple of buttons, have a nervous breakdown, remove master, have a strong drink and bobs your uncle).

If you can program the key fob without all that rigmarole then I can't see the need for a key with a chip in it.

As someone said, I think Toyota are pulling your chain as a justification for the ridiculous price.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X