Trouble starting my baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble starting my baby

Have recently (two days ago) had new glow plugs fitted into our surf. Since then, it seems to dislike starting in the mornings when cold. takes two or three turns to start.....................

I've spoken to the chap that fitted the plugs and he said the plugs should be fine!

Can anyone help me or suggest anything I can do to try please??

Thanks

sparky
    Last edited by sparkyaj; 2 November 2004, 22:08.

Check the fuse for the glow plugs is not blown. It is not uncommon for the supply to the glow plugs to be shorted to ground after work has been done in the egine bay.

If you have a multimeter, failing that a 12V bulb with two wires attached, connect one to ground and the other to the glow plugs buzz bar (the stiff wire that connects the top of all the glow plugs. If the bulb lights you are getting power to the plugs.

Just noticed your user name. If you are a sparky then of course you will have a multimeter - DOH!
    Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 2 November 2004, 18:50.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks for that. The fuse is OK, going to check the bus bar.

First time with derv system. Look out for the smoke!! hehehehe

I'll go check that now

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyaj
        Thanks for that. The fuse is OK, going to check the bus bar.

First time with derv system. Look out for the smoke!! hehehehe

I'll go check that now
        If that fails check the relay for the glow plugs located in the engine bay, its on the passenger side inner wing i think.
        Now I Have Grown Up, I Need A Grown Up Tonker Toy!

Comment

now, there's a link knocking about somewhere to a diagram of exactly how it all goes back together.... i think a few people have put an insulator in the wrong place so it won't work... someone will post it (or use search)....

edit... on second thoughts that might be what was making the fuse blow... but either way worth having a look at!.
          Last edited by da SLUG man; 2 November 2004, 20:39.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

OK, I have found that the 80A fuse is blown and the glow plugs are not powering up.

Q.

It still starts without them warming. Will it damage the head if run without warming?

Q. how the hell do I get that fuse out??

I've tried everything!!

Lastly, is the fuse easy to replace or is it an order job??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyaj
              OK, I have found that the 80A fuse is blown and the glow plugs are not powering up.

Q.

It still starts without them warming. Will it damage the head if run without warming?

Q. how the hell do I get that fuse out??

I've tried everything!!

Lastly, is the fuse easy to replace or is it an order job??

Thanks
              i think milner do the fuse... think it screws in from underneath? (try a search in electrical)

just takes longer to start and blows out smoke if you don't preheat.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

hi m8 nice to have another devon surfer have to watch out for you any way back to your little prob you can get the fuse from milners for 4pounds (ps im at heathfield )

Comment

Glad you found the problem. If you had the new glow plugs fitted by a garage then surely they should fault fined a nd fix it for you. Obviously as a sparks you need to find out why the fuse blew in the first place.

I'm pleased I was some use for a change.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                    Glad you found the problem. If you had the new glow plugs fitted by a garage then surely they should fault fined a nd fix it for you. Obviously as a sparks you need to find out why the fuse blew in the first place.

I'm pleased I was some use for a change.

Agreed, if the garage fitted the plugs then they have assembled the washers wrong causing the fuse to blow, common mistake.
                    Correct assembly is
                    This is from the bottom to the top
                    Blue spacer (raised centre/post)
                    Wiring connections
                    Black spacer
                    Washer
                    Nut.

Blue spacer fitted with raise center facing upwards, wiring connections fits over the raised center then black washer over the top.
                    THis stops the wiring coming in to contact with the metal stud and shorting out, blowing the fuse.

To remove the fuse take lid off the fuse box, undo the fuse box, three bolts (I think). Turn the fuse box over and undo the fuse from underneath, remember one side of the fuse will still be live so take care the wire doesn't touch any thing or disconnect the batteries.

Milners do not do the fuses, I'll think you will find its dealer item only.
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FANTASTIC!!

I grab hold of some fuses today, removed the bus bar and started from scratch~!

Now she starts before you put in the key!!!! hehehehe

If you want a job doing correct - - - - - - - - - - - you gotta doit your self!

Thanks to everyone who helped!

your all stars!!

sparky

Comment

It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                        X