yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealer mucking me around, can anyone help ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer mucking me around, can anyone help ???

Hi,

I have just faxed a letter to the dealer that sold me a 2.4 L130 2 months ago that after the 1st long drive was !!!!ing oil, brief summary:

Summary of events to date:

A major oil leak was first noticed on the 12/09/2004 after returning from a weekend in Brighton, it was reported to you on the 13/09/2004 when you told me to bring it back to Liberty Motors for inspection. I brought the car to you on the 14th of September where a piece of cardboard was placed under the engine and because only two drops of oil dripped onto the cardboard in the time that I was there, you failed to acknowledge that there was a problem. Your local mechanic inspected the vehicle and agreed that there was an oil leak but without the engine being cleaned he was unable to identify where the leak was coming from. Because I had spent the better half of a day away from the office (while you ate your lunch and showed no interest in resolving matters), I was unable to spend more time finding a place to clean the engine and had to return to work. I called you on the evening of the 13th to report that there had been no major oil spillages on the way back to work or home and I would contact you should it happen again. On the 29th of September my wife and I went on our honeymoon for 15 nights, the vehicle not used while we were away.

On the 22nd of September I drove to Brighton to visit family, upon arriving / parking I smelled burning oil and proceeded to inspect under the vehicle to discover a vast amount of oil dripping and residue on the exhaust pipe. The following day (23rd) I took the vehicle to Nationwide Autocentre to have the breaks checked and to investigate the oil leak further, they called me later that day to say that the head gasket needed replacing (please find report attached). I called you that afternoon and you told me that you would speak to you representative at ‘Motorplan’ to see if the leak was covered and would get back to me on the Monday (25th). I awaited your call but didn’t get one. On the 26th I took the car to a local mechanic (Fisher Motors) who cleaned and inspected the engine to report that the head gasket needs replacing and the head cylinder needs to be inspected for cracks, I told you that he had attempted to tighten the cylinder head as a temporary fix and would report to you as soon as I observed oil leakage. This weekend (28th October) I drive to Stevenage, upon arrival I inspected the cylinder head and there was a reasonable amount of oil residue down the previously cleaned engine, I checked the oil level and it had lost about a quarter of the capacity.

Is there any point in pursuing this, I have read that if the dealer goes out of business during procedings, it can cost me a lot of money which I don't have?! Is there anyone else I can turn to?

I would normally not have investigated my consumer rights to this extent but on the 13th of September, on the way to hislocal mechanic, hetold me that he was under no obligation to repair the car and I should contact the 3rd party warranty company ‘Motorplan’ should I have any problems in the future.

Another question, is the cylinder head going to be cracked when they take the engine appart to change cylinder head ?

Help and thoughts would be appreciated !

Nick

Sorry to here about all your problems,
    I would first talk to your local citizens advice/ trading standards guys. Make sure you get reference numbers from them, they always look good should you have to write any proper letters.
    I would then see what they recormend and/or get in contact with motorplan see what they say.

As for the head problem, I am not an expert but generally if the head gasket has gone and you have been driving it around since then you will likely have cracked it/ warped it. Check the oil see if it looks like snot/mayonnaise thats what happens to oil and water when they mix.

I would also not recormend driving the car if this is the problem.

I hope this helps a bit, and good luck.

Comment

I don't know how long you have had the truck but I believe they are legally bound to put right any major manufacturing defect that occurs within three months. Somebody posted a link to one of the car sales websites. I think it was Auto Trader or Exchange And Mart, but they list your statutory rights when buying from a dealer.

The title of the thread was similar to yours so it might be worth doing a search.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

He has to stand by the trading standard laws & rectify this fault all dealers have to give you a minimum 3 month warranty by law, His warranty company if you have an extended warranty should persue him as well as it was within 3 months of purchase.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Hope this helps.
          http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buy/ba/ba-8.jsp

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
            That is the link I spent ages looking for. Well spotted!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Replies

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

It has been a dissaster, I took a loan and really thought I had looked into things before buying, I thought "it won't happen to me".

I have writen to the dealer and given him a week to respond, to be honest, I don't think he will but I will take matters as far as I can as I don't think these 'cowboys' should get away with what they do.

Re. the head - oil doesn't seem to be mixing with water, my local mechanic doesn't think the head is cracked either. He says that he thinks that the oil is coming through gasket at a "oil way". Basicall, if looking down at the engine, on the right side where one has a small view of the head / gasket, oil comes out of there and it bubbles.

I will take your recommendations and not use the vehicle until the problem is resolved.

Any other thoughts or idea's would be muchly appreciated !

Nick

Comment

Working...
              X