Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 or 3.0??

Hi Folks,

I have been on the side for a while now. Great Site.
    I am looking for a Surf at the moment, but am undecided as to the 2.4 or the 3.0.
    A mate of mine bought a 2.4 and 2 months later the head and radiator went.
    I have heared of this b4, but is the 3liter prone to this? Why does the 2.4 suffer so bad?
    Apart from engine size, and the obvious benefits of a bigger engine, what are the major differences. Is it just a progression thing from Toyota?

I currently have a 2000 2.4tdi HiLux pick up and love it but the time has come that I want the Surf now. (any one want a swap??? ). I need the passenger capacity and secure load space.

thanks

Mavrik

Originally posted by Mavrik
    Hi Folks,

I have been on the side for a while now. Great Site.
    I am looking for a Surf at the moment, but am undecided as to the 2.4 or the 3.0.
    A mate of mine bought a 2.4 and 2 months later the head and radiator went.
    I have heared of this b4, but is the 3liter prone to this? Why does the 2.4 suffer so bad?
    Apart from engine size, and the obvious benefits of a bigger engine, what are the major differences. Is it just a progression thing from Toyota?

I currently have a 2000 2.4tdi HiLux pick up and love it but the time has come that I want the Surf now. (any one want a swap??? ). I need the passenger capacity and secure load space.

thanks

Mavrik
    Head problems as far as can be known was due to a design fault, so its isolated cases as opposed to all.
    If you can pick up a 2.4 with a NEW head then all should be fine, see receipts to prove it.
    MPG for both is about the same very little in it, 3.0 offers a bit more ooomph and higher motorway cruising, well not so much higher but less of an effort to do so.
    If its all round town stuff then theres little to choose between the two.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Many thanks

Comment

2.4 vs. 3.0

Hello

My 2.4 had a new head, courtesy of the ***** who sold it to me, just weeks after buying it. Been good for over 20,000 miles since!

I use mine for towing horse box and I wish to god I had the 3.0, I'll be changing in the spring.

The 3.0 is not a progression of the 2.4, it is a different unit, and has much better torque.

Happy Surfing
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Go for the 3.0 m8. it's good for the extra umph.
          Good deed for the day today was towing an overheated (blown radiator) mitsubishi callenger (newly imported last week), 7 miles up the M6 this lunch time, off the hard shoulder and up to the services just south of Carlisle.
          Easy pulling at 60mph at around 1800rpm, try doing that in a citreon picaso!!!

Fish
          If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Working...
          X