Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID on EBAY

Hi Guys,
    I have read all the threads here about HID Lights, and I understand that they are great if generally expensive. However you can not buy on ebay kits for £179 (+£20p&p)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...930394788&rd=1
    now to me they look the same as the demon tweaks ones or any other ones, obviously they are not Piaa but they look good.

What do you guys recon?

Also whats the difference between 8000K, 5000K, 9000K etc that they all quote, I guess its how bright they are but what does that equate to in candle power? (just got a 10,000,000 candle power hand spot from Costco another great toy).

Cheers

Err that link shows up as "NIGHT RIDER Large Lights 2x14 inch strips"

Comment

You couldn't possibly buy a real HID system for £179! Going rate for a non-dipping sytem is £250 plus. A street legal H4 system has to have a motorised masking system to give both high and dipped beams. HID modules with a hi/lo function start at about £80 each. There are lots of dubious H4 plasma modules that don't have a high beam function and are usually not focused correctly so they won't get you an MOT and they will get to into lots of trouble with other road users.

The K number is the color temperature. It's to do with appearance not brightness. Standard incandescent headlights are in the 3000-3200K range and have a yellow appearance. Factory fitted HIDs are usually in the 3700-4100K range which gives them a pure white appearance in focus with a slight blue aura above and below the axis of the beam.

Lights with ratings over 6000K are very blue and not neccessarily brighter than ones with lower K ratings.

I have these......

http://www.h-i-d.co.uk/products1.shtml

One more thing as Charlene Chan likes to say.... If you have a HID lighting system the current construction and use regulations say that it must be self leveling. This is probably not an MOT failure point but it is at least a technical offence.
      Last edited by *Turandot*; 28 October 2004, 19:10.

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
        Hi Guys,
        Also whats the difference between 8000K, 5000K, 9000K etc that they all quote, I guess its how bright they are but what does that equate to in candle power? (just got a 10,000,000 candle power hand spot from Costco another great toy).

Cheers
        thats the colour that the lamp gives... the highter the number, the whiter they will be... same as on flourescent lamps... can't remember the numbers but they're called "cool white" "warm white" and stuff like that. might be called temperature cos the K is kelvin
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

thats the colour that the lamp gives... the highter the number, the whiter they will be... same as on flourescent lamps... can't remember the numbers but they're called "cool white" "warm white" and stuff like that. might be called temperature cos the K is kelvin

This is not correct in any way at all... not really surprising since I read it on here. The colour of light that florescent (notice that I can spell the word too) tubes produce has nothing to do with the temperature they operate at as they don't get hot do they?

The Kelvin colour temperature scale is exactly the same as the normal spectrum. It runs from red through to violet so the highest numbers are blue then violet. Not very difficult to understand is it?

Comment

Originally posted by *Turandot*

This is not correct in any way at all... not really surprising since I read it on here. The colour of light that florescent (notice that I can spell the word too) tubes produce has nothing to do with the temperature they operate at as they don't get hot do they?

The Kelvin colour temperature scale is exactly the same as the normal spectrum. It runs from red through to violet so the highest numbers are blue then violet. Not very difficult to understand is it?
            you complete buffoon!
            where did you learn spelling? that's exactly what i'd expect from someone with the surname GO!
            it's not a heat temperature... it's colour temperature.

i'm a qualified electrician and worked for 6 years in electrical wholesale.

i didn't have a dictionary at hand! but let's see what cambridge university say?...
            Definition

fluorescent
            adjective
            1 Fluorescent lights are very bright, tube-shaped electric lights, often used in offices:
            fluorescent lighting

2 Fluorescent colours are very bright and can be seen in the dark:
            fluorescent green

hmmm... look!... you're wrong!

i didn't confess i knew exactly what i was talking about, just rying to help a fella out!... which i did by telling him it's a colour scale used for lighting!

just stop sticking your beak in and picking holes... we're here to help each other.
            Last edited by da SLUG man; 31 October 2004, 18:05.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Unfortunately the person leaving in January 2005 isn't me it's my cousin - wish it was though.

Have it your own way. I don't actually care what you think or how much misinformation you post on here for my amusement.

Comment

Unfortunately the person leaving in January 2005 isn't me it's my cousin - wish it was though.

Have it your own way. I don't actually care what you think or how much misinformation you post on here for my amusement.

seeing as you don't actually care neither do I, step out of line once more and your history.

You can correct & help people wtihout being defamatory about it, being like that will get you one place fast.
                Last edited by Koi; 31 October 2004, 19:36.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Make it so

Comment

Make it so
                    There's your answer Nigel. I for one will not miss her input.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                      Well said
                      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                        LOL i particularly like the 'Banned' title you get
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Must be something in the water in The Philippines (not sure on the spelling but you are all too well mannered to point out it is wrong) that makes the inhabitants (and the occasional ex-pat) need to wash their mouths out with soap!Lets get back to being friendly Surfers.
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thank you and what did I miss

Well....... dont know where to start seem to have hit a sore spot here but back to the question, Firstly lets try again:
                            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...930976335&rd=1
                            Now Thanks for sorting out the colour issue, so the higher the better, (I dont like the blue colour too much as I always think there is a police car behind me when I see someone coming up)

So do you recon 179 + P&P is a good idea??? I am not going to spend £500 on them, the missus will kill me, take the keys away and never let me out again!!!!!

Back to the kit on ebay, I guess this only covers the dipped setting on your headlight, so will I lose the high beam option all together? (might be making a big booboo here if there are 2 seperate bulbs in the surf but I cant be bothered to walk out side till lunchtime!!).

Cheers and a friendly thank you
                            Last edited by truckarms; 1 November 2004, 10:44.

Comment

Working...
                            X