Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drowned surf

Hi all, hope you are all well?

I took the surf through a river on Friday night which was a little deeper than i thought... over the bonnet. Quite strange driving with the lights underwater. It started fine Saturday although it did smoke quite heavily. Since then its struggled to start each time, and this morning it doesnt want to know. The battery indicator is just below half, but it wont even turn over. Im sure its easy to fix, any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

and yes, before you say it, i think it may have got wet!!

Thanks,

Nick.

Well if you got the vehicle home it can't be too serious, definately not "hydraulic'd" as, by your description, you never stopped moving and therefore the engine never got flooded.

Have you dried out all your electrics and tried bump or jump starting it? If it bumps or jumps then suspect your ECU etc as it's a diesel and therefore not so reliant on electrickery!
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

try getting the battery tested- the struggle through the water might have been the last straw!

When mine went (and I have duals) the battery indicator still showed over 80% charge so its not a reliable check.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

You may have something electrical still damp, and shorting gently to suck power. Also check your air filter isn't damp, it may be struggling to suck air through, making it run rough/smokey.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Guys/Gals

What's the deepest water-level thats recommended not to be exceeded for us to drive through (assuming no lift has been done) at say:

i) 10mph;
          ii) 30mph;
          iii) 50mph and;
          iv) 85mph?

Just joking about the 85mph
          NorthWestDirt
          [aka Paul]

Comment

Your air intake is just above the front bumper, You will create a BOW wave & you dont want the wave to come back on you as you may suck water into the turbo BANG So just be careful 5mph is the fastest in deep water or you'll start ripping the front wings off.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Dear all,

Thanks for the advice, a few things i will be sure to check tonight,

Thanks again,

Nick.

ps, It was definately worth it just to see the face on the person with me!!

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                Your air intake is just above the front bumper, You will create a BOW wave & you dont want the wave to come back on you as you may suck water into the turbo BANG So just be careful 5mph is the fastest in deep water or you'll start ripping the front wings off.
                I thought the air intake was at headlight level.......And 5mph
                you wossie boy Marky I always thought you had more bottle than that...
                If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

AIR INTAKE is just above bumper level was used as a guide. because headlight level to a newbie offroader is a bit too close for comfort.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                  X